Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News


by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
MANCHESTER, NH – Goaltender Dimitri Patzold held the Manchester Monarchs to one goal as the Worcester Sharks took a 4-1 victory in game five in front of 4,679 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Friday night. Manchester leads the 2007 Calder Cup Atlantic Division Semifinal Series A 3-2 with game six on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at the DCU Center.

After a scoreless first period, defenseman Justin Kurtz pulled the Sharks ahead by scoring a power-play goal at 3:24 of the second frame. Center Mike Iggulden took the initial shot that was saved by Monarchs netminder Jason LaBarbera. The puck bounced to the stick of right wing Graham Mink on the left doorstep who passed the puck to Kurtz at the center point. Kurtz released a shot beating LaBarbera stick side for the 1-0 lead.

With a minute remaining in the second period, Mink took the puck across center ice and passed it to right wing Ashton Rome who carried the puck into the Monarchs zone and blasted a shot on LaBarbera. The puck bounced off the inner leg of LaBarbera and scooted into the back of the net. The Sharks took a 2-0 lead into the locker room with the remaining minute of play postponed until the third period due to broken glass.

Defenseman Garret Stafford dumped the puck into the Monarchs zone while the Sharks skated on the power play. The puck took an odd bounce off the glass sending it back in front of LaBarbera. Left wing Lukas Kaspar controlled the puck and passed it over to right wing Grant Stevenson charging in on the right post. Stevenson lifted the puck over LaBarbera's glove side putting the Sharks up 3-0 with 18:48 remaining in the final stanza.

The Monarchs got on the board at 12:44 in the third period to bring the score to 3-1. Left wing Noah Clarke and center Brian Boyle were behind the Sharks net fighting for control of the puck. The puck was jammed out of the crowd of players and found right wing John Zeiler behind the left post. As he rounded the front of the net, he dropped to his knees and put the puck between the legs of Patzold for the Monarchs lone goal.

On the power play, Worcester increased their lead back to three. Center Riley Armstrong passed the puck to Kurtz who was at the left point. Kurtz found center Torrey Mitchell at the top of the left face-off circle. Mitchell took the shot sending the puck past the left pad of LaBarbera at 15:21 to bring the game to 4-1.

LaBarbera took the loss with 24 saves on 28 shots. Patzold earned the victory with 14 saves.

Manchester went 0-for-6 with the man advantage. Worcester was 3-for-9 on the power play.
View More