LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Kings and the Anaheim Ducks unveiled the “Freeway Face-Off” ticket package the two teams announced to mark the first joint promotional effort between the two clubs.
Kings-Ducks Series History
Beginning on Friday, Sept. 12, at 10 a.m., Southern California hockey/sports fans can purchase the “Freeway Face-Off” package, which features one game ticket for both the Kings-Ducks game at STAPLES Center on Oct. 14 and the Ducks-Kings game at the Honda Center on Nov. 16. All fans purchasing the special ticket package will also receive a free voucher for a “Limited Edition/Collectible Long Sleeve Freeway Face-Off Shirt presented by Fox Sports WEST and PRIME TICKET." Click here to purchase. (Live at 10 a.m. on Friday).
“It is important to find ways to help promote our game throughout Southern California and our two organizations feel the special ‘Freeway Face-off’ package is a good ticket option for local hockey and sports fans to see our game live -- especially with the on-ice rivalry aspect that comes with those intense games,” said Kings Chief Marketing Officer Chris McGowan.
Packages are priced at $60 (ticket locations are upper center for the game at STAPLES Center and Terrace Goal for the game at the Honda Center) and can be purchased via LAKings.com, anaheimducks.com, 1-888-KINGS-LA and 1-877 WILD WING. Official “Freeway Face-Off” apparel will also be available for fans to purchase at the Team LA store at STAPLES Center.
In addition, the Kings will also kick off an individual game purchase pre-sale for all 2008-09 regular season home games on Saturday, Sept. 13, at 10 a.m. For all information, log onto LAKings.com.
Also, note the following change to the Kings broadcast schedule that was announced on Monday. The Kings’ season opener in San Jose on Saturday, Oct. 11, will be broadcast on FSN WEST (not PRIME TICKET).
The “Freeway Face-off” ticket package is named after the FSN WEST/PRIME TICKET-led rivalry between the Kings and the Ducks, which was launched last year. Below are facts about the Freeway Face-off.
During the 2008-09 season, there are six Freeway Face-Off games:
- Oct. 14 – Kings vs. Ducks (STAPLES Center)
- Nov. 11 – Kings vs. Ducks (STAPLES Center)
- Nov. 16 – Ducks vs. Kings (Honda Center)
- Jan. 6 – Ducks vs. Kings (Honda Center)
- Jan. 8 – Kings vs. Ducks (STAPLES Center)
- Feb. 18 – Ducks vs. Kings (Honda Center)
The winner of the Freeway Face-Off receives a $50K donation to the team’s foundation – the Kings Care Foundation or the Anaheim Ducks Foundation, courtesy of the other team. In the event of a 3-3 tie, the winner of the Freeway Face-Off will be determined by total goals scored over the course of the six rivalry games.
Freeway Face-Off - History and Facts:
Chronology of the “Name the Rivalry Contest”:
- During the 2007-08 NHL season, FSN WEST/PRIME TICKET hosted a seven-week contest.
- The goal of the “Name the Rivalry” contest was to generate awareness for NHL in Southern California, attract new fans to the sport and increase game telecast ratings.
- Hockey fans submitted rivalry names online.
- Four final names were chosen in the “Name the Rivalry” contest; fans voted for their favorite.
- The three runners-up were: “Freezeway Series”, “Ice-5 Series” and “Crosstown Showdown.”
- “Freeway Face-Off” received more than 4,800 votes to win.
- “Freeway Face-Off” – the name and logo – were revealed on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2007.
- The announcement was made live on the FSN PRIME TICKET Kings at Ducks game telecast.
- 65 Southern California hockey fans submitted the name “Freeway Face-Off”
- Jenny Keane was randomly as the winner per contest rules. Keane was introduced, congratulated and presented with the grand prize on-air.
- The Name the Rivalry contest grand prize includes two tickets to each of the future 2007-08 “Freeway Face-Off” games.
- The Ducks won the inaugural Freeway Face-Off effective April 3, 2008.
- The announcement was made on FSN PRIME TICKET during the final Freeway Face-Off.
- Ducks’ Executive Vice President and General Manager Brian Burke and Kings’ Vice President/Assistant General Manager Ron Hextall were interviewed on “FSN Live”.
- The Ducks were presented with a $50K check to the Anaheim Ducks Foundation courtesy of the Kings and the Kings Care Foundation.
-- Sept. 28, 2007 Southern California sports fans were invited to submit names for the rivalry online
-- Oct. 11, 2007 Two days remain for hockey fans to submit their ideas
-- Nov. 2, 2007 Southern California’s Final Four rivalry names announced:
Freezeway Series, Ice-5 Series, Freeway Face-off, Crosstown Showdown
More than 6,000 entries received in contest
-- Nov. 13, 2007 Freeway Face-off is the Southern California hockey rivalry
More than 4,800 votes received
Rivalry name and logo unveiled on FSN PRIME TICKET
-- April 3, 2008 – Winner of inaugural Freeway Face-off named on “Kings Live” pre-game show