A special hour-long feature on Anze Kopitar
, ‘In My Own Words’, debuts tonight on Fox Sports West following postgame coverage of the Kings’ game against the Chicago Blackhawks.
Kopitar, the first player from his native country Slovenia to play in the NHL, and the only to win a Stanley Cup, delves into sides of his hockey life never before seen or talked about.
From tales of his childhood in Slovenia, where the sport of hockey was nearly non-existent, to playing with his brother, Gasper, in Sweden during the 2012 NHL lockout, to his two Stanley Cup Championships, Anze sits down with Alex Curry for a tell-all, revealing look at his career.
- Home movies from Anze playing pee-wee hockey in Slovenia, coached by his father.
- A look at Anze back home in Slovenia today, focusing on how beloved he is by his fellow countrymen, as well as what he is doing to grow the sport back home.
- Anze’s reflections on leaving home as a teenager, to move 2 foreign countries(Sweden then US), in order to continue his hockey development
- Discussing his early years with the Kings…the ups (scoring 2 goals in his first game, becoming one of the NHL’s top young stars) and the downs (his injury in 2011 and the Kings falling short in the playoffs)
- Reflections on both Cup wins… what they meant to him, his family, and his country
- Highlights from his life OFF the ice, since moving to LA a decade ago
- Additional interviews, from over the years, with other members of the Kopitar family
Scroll down below for three separate Teasers from ‘In My Own Words’, which detail three of the key topics that will be examined in the hour-long exclusive.
ON DEVELOPING A LOVE FOR HOCKEY:
ON PLAYING WITH HIS BROTHER GASPER IN SWEDEN:
ON DEVELOPING THE GAME WITH SLOVENIA’S YOUTH: