|Martinez participated in his Kings Development camp in July of this year.
LAKings.com's Mike Kalinowski continues his look at the Kings future with his Future Kings series. This Week: Alec Martinez
Future King Alec Martinez
Born: July 26, 1987 (Rochester Hills, Mich.)
Drafted: Selected by the Kings in the fourth round (95th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Noteworthy Accomplishments From The 2007-08 Season:
- Agreed to terms on a multi-year contract with the Kings on April 29, 2008.
- Participated in his second Kings Development Camp at Toyota Sports Center in July of 2008.
- Earned all CCHA Tournament honors and was named the CCHA?s Best Defensive Defensemen at the conclusion of his third season at Miami ? Ohio.
- Led all CCHA defenseman in goals (9) and points (32).
- Tied collegiate career highs for goals (9) and games played (42) and set new career highs for assists (23), points (32) and penalty minutes (42) in one season.
- He is focused and excited about taking part in his first training camp with the Kings.
- It took him about a month of reflection before he decided to leave Miami ? Ohio a year early to start his professional career with the Kings.
- He is good friends with Kings goaltending prospect Jeff Zatkoff, who was his roommate at Miami - Ohio and who also signed with the Kings last April.
- Says Development Camp was a great opportunity for him to learn how to be a King.
- His mindset going into Training Camp is to play his best hockey and to be as prepared as he possibly can be for the start of it.
- Plans to continue to pursue a degree in accounting at Miami - Ohio.