Hey FTBK Team!
As the air starts to turn and we start to make our way towards spring and summer, the travel bug is starting to kick in.
Traveling has always been a passion of mine. My boyfriend Tyler and I love to do day trips to explore our home of California with our pup Louise. We have driven cross-country twice and have gone on countless planes across the globe thanks to my time on the professional qualifying tour for surfing.
Despite my absolute excitement and love for adventure, there has always been one part of the process I found challenging… the lack of healthy, on-the-go options.
Although many airports are making efforts to supply un-processed, organic snacks, they still have some work to do.
I always found myself going from pure joy and eagerness for my trip, to grogginess and fatigue due to what I was putting in my body along the way. It's so easy to grab a candy bar or chips to munch on mid-flight or drive, but it is even more important to stay on track while traveling. Our bodies are exposed to a plethora of germs in a confined space; so, the key to avoid getting sick, is making sure our immune systems and digestive tracks are in tip-top, fighting shape.
I found that once I started bringing my own food, snacks and other products, my travel experience got infinitely better. My mood stayed up, I didn't have that feeling of being dirty post flight, and I finally said goodbye to that post travel sniffle. It takes some extra work and planning, but it is definitely worth it.
Check out some of my favorite travel food:
- Almond bites
- Cut up bell pepper
- Cut up cucumber
- Organic popcorn - lightly salted with Himalayan Pink salt, popped in coconut oil
- Overnight Oats with cinnamon, maple syrup and frozen blueberries
- Rolled egg taco with salsa (keep warm in tin foil)
- 2 Hard boiled eggs (eat before getting on the plane so people don't hate you)
- Sweet Potato stuffed with avocado
- Salad with purple cabbage, butternut squash, kale, arugula and marcona almonds (add any protein you like)
- Avocado, spinach, bell pepper, humus in an ezekiel wrap (add turkey or chicken)
- Thai spaghetti squash salad with veggies