It’s Saturday night and while most people are getting ready to dress in their evening best and hit the town, I find myself content with strapping on my apron, sliding into my slippers, and settling in for an evening of baking! As Thanksgiving quickly approaches you’re probably much like me and in full-preparation mode. I’m talking a two-page grocery shopping list, detailed menu write-up, taking out decorative dishware and decorations for the table, and feverishly searching through cookbooks and old recipes to create the perfect, most delightful, dinner to share with family and friends.
For this Bakin’ w/ Beckster Volume 2 edition I’ve created an exquisitely-flavorful delicacy that may happily confuse your guests with the question: “Is this a side-dish or a dessert?” Anyone who has prepared a Thanksgiving dinner knows that time is of the essence when it comes to food prep. In honor of the upcoming holiday I wanted to create a side dish that is quick and easy to make, yet not lacking quality and satisfaction. These Coconut-Marshmallow Yam Balls are a fun spin-off to traditional yams. During the holidays it’s easy to over-indulge in delightful foods - the good news is that some ingredients are sugar-free, yams are low on the glycemic index, and they’re conveniently pre-portioned for your guests. In the spirit of moderation, this is a wonderful way to enjoy the tastes of the holiday, yet still remain nutritionally disciplined.
Enjoy this very charming recipe – your taste buds will be so happy they’ll be doing the “chicken dance” by the end of the night! (Insert song here…you know the one!) :)
Coconut-Marshmallow Yam Balls
- Large Yams: 4
- Large Marshmallows (not jumbo): approx. 16-20
- Quaker oats: 2 Cups
- Packed Brown Sugar: 2/3 Cup
- Shredded Coconut (sweetened): 2 Cups
- Orange Zest: 1 tsp.
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice: 2 tbsp.
- Stevia (sugar-free sweetener): 2 tbsp.
- Ground Cinnamon: 1 tsp.
- Ground Nutmeg: ½ tsp.
- Sugar-free Syrup: enough to drizzle after baking
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 16-20 balls
- Wash hands ☺
- Preheat oven to 350 o
- Peel yams, dice, then boil for about 15 minutes (or until soft)
- Remove yams from water, strain, and place in a large bowl
- Mash yams (see image #1)
- Stir in oats, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and nutmeg
- In a separate bowl, toss coconut with Stevia and cinnamon (see image #2)
- Take a small handful of the yam mixture in one hand, add one marshmallow
- Add additional yam mixture and cover the marshmallow (ball should be about 2 inches in diameter)
- Roll the ball in the coconut mix until covered
- Place ball onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (see image #3)
- Continue until all yam mixture is used
- Bake for 15 minutes (until coconut turns golden brown)
- Let Coconut-Marshmallow Yam Balls cool for 5 minutes – Do not fear if the marshmallow oozes out of the yam ball. They’ll still be yummy, trust me!
- Gobble-up & enjoy… (see image #4)
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING!