Some of the biggest names in the National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) will try to outwit each other at the poker table – all in the name of charity – in the PartyPoker.net Charity Faceoff. The new seven-part, 60-minute TSN original series premieres December 16 and is available in High Definition.
A made-for-TV Texas Hold 'Em tournament, PartyPoker.net Charity Faceoff features 16 current and former NHLers with a total purse of $100,000 (Cdn), all going to the players' charities of choice. Some of the players participating include three-time Vezina winner and New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur, Toronto Maple Leafs blueliner Bryan McCabe, Sheldon Souray and Craig Rivet of the Montreal Canadiens, and tough guys Sean Avery, Donald Brashear and Georges Laraque (see complete list of players and charities below).
The preliminary rounds of the tournament (Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4) feature four tables of four players, with the winner and second place finisher from each table moving on. Two tables of four players make up the semi-final round (Episodes 5 and 6), while one table of four will play for the championship in Episode 7 (see broadcast schedule below).
Hosted by TV and radio sports personality Blake Price, the series features analysis by TSN's Russ Anber and player interviews by Canadian-born Hollywood actress Elisha Cuthbert (24, Lucky Girl).
Thirteen different charities are represented in this tournament, including the NHLPA's Goals & Dreams Fund, which donates money to grassroots hockey programs. The champion of PartyPoker.net Charity Faceoff will see their charity awarded $20,000, while the second place finisher's chosen charity receives $10,000. All of the other participants' charities will be given $5,000.
Created and managed by TSN Events and Segal Communications, and supported by the NHLPA, PartyPoker.net Charity Faceoff is the first tournament of its kind to feature the stars of the NHL, and will provide fans with a unique off-ice look at the players and their personalities. The event was filmed in August on location in Montreal prior to the start of the 2006-07 training camp. Players and Player CharitiesTable 1
- Tim Connolly (Buffalo Sabres) – Upstate Foundation: Golisano Children's Hospital
- Maxime Talbot (Pittsburgh Penguins) – NHLPA Goals & Dreams Fund
- Dustin Penner (Anaheim Ducks) – NHLPA Goals & Dreams Fund
- Marc Bergevin (retired) – Leucan Region Quebec
- Sean Avery (LA Kings) – The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
- Donald Brashear (Washington Capitals) – NHLPA Goals & Dreams Fund
- Brad May (Colorado Avalanche) – Canuck Place Children's Hospice
- Scott Walker (Carolina Hurricanes) – Garth Brooks Teammates for Kids Foundation
- Simon Gagne (Philadelphia Flyers) – Leucan Region Quebec
- Bryan McCabe (Toronto Maple Leafs) – The Canadian Relief Foundation
- Craig Rivet (Montreal Canadiens) – Big Brothers North Bay
- Sheldon Souray (Montreal Canadiens) – Gordon Russell's Crystal Kids Youth Centre
PartyPoker.net Charity Faceoff Broadcast Schedule on TSN:
- Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils) – Quebec Breakfast Club
- Mike Cammalleri (LA Kings) – Children's Wish Foundation
- Tie Domi (Retired) – Variety Village Sunshine Swim Team
- Georges Laraque (Phoenix Coyotes) – Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation in Edmonton
- Saturday, Dec. 16, 1 p.m. ET - Preliminary Round (Table 1)
- Saturday, Dec. 16, 2 p.m. ET - Preliminary Round (Table 2)
- Sunday, Dec. 24, 1 p.m. ET - Preliminary Round (Table 3)
- Sunday, Dec. 24, 2 p.m. ET - Preliminary Round (Table 4)
- Sunday, Dec. 24, 3 p.m. ET - Semifinal Round 1
- Saturday, Dec. 30, 2 p.m. ET - Semifinal Round 2
- Saturday, Dec. 30, 3 p.m. ET - Final Round