Team USA captain Mark Stuart and forwards Blake Wheeler and Tim Stapleton will don the red, white, and blue in Group C, with their schedule kicking off on Saturday, April 30 against Austria. Forwards Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane will represent Canada in Group B, and goalie Ondrej Pavelec will be between the pipes for the Czech Republic in Group D where his team will battle Arturs Kulda and the Latvian squad.
Stay tuned to Atlantathrashers.com for updates on how our players are doing in Europe. Click here for the official World Championship website.
UPDATE : Tuesday, May 10
* The Qualification Round is over and eight teams remain in contention for the 2011 IIHF Gold Medal, with the Quarterfinals being played on Wednesday and Thursday, the Semifinals on Friday and Gold-and-Bronze Medal games on Sunday.
* In the first Quarterfinal game on Wednesday, Blake Wheeler, Mark Stuart, Tim Stapleton and the rest of American team square off against the top-seeded Czech Republic squad, led by goaltender Ondrej Pavelec … Wheeler is the leading scoring Thrasher in the tournament having posted five points (two goals, three assists) in six games … Pavelec has appeared in all five games for the Czech Republic, posting a 5-0-0 record with one shutout, a 1.40 GAA and a .945 save percentage (both good for second in the tournament).
* The remaining Thrashers representatives will be in action on Thursday as Canada (Ladd and Kane) takes on Russia.
UPDATE : Monday, May 9
* The Qualification Round of the tournament ends today with four games to determine the final seeding for the Quarterfinals, which begin on Wednesday, May 11 … The Quarterfinals will be played cross-over … The first-place team in each Qualification Round group plays the fourth-place team from the other group, while the second-place team plays the third-place team from the other Qualification Round group.
* Blake Wheeler is the leading scorer among Thrashers in the tournament, posting five points (two goals, three assists) thus far … Wheeler ranks second on the American squad in points, goals and assists … U.S.captain Mark Stuart tallied his first goal of the tournament in his team’s 3-2 victory against France on
Saturday, May 7.
* Goaltender Ondrej Pavelec has appeared in all of his team’s games thus far, posting a 5-0-0 record with one shutout, a 1.40 GAA and a .945 save percentage … Pavelec’s play has helped lead his team to a top seed in the Quarterfinals.
* Team USA faces Switzerland today while the Czechs take on Germany and Canada faces Sweden.
UPDATE : Thursday, May 5
* Goaltender Ondrej Pavelec earned his third straight win for the Czech Republic, downing Finland 2-1 yesterday to help his team secure first place in Group D … Pavelec closed out the Preliminary Round tied for the tournament lead in shutouts (1), tied for third in GAA (1.00) and ranking fourth in save percentage (.963) … Pavelec and the Czech team begin the Qualification Round on Friday, May 6 when they face Slovakia.
* Blake Wheeler scored one goal in 18:27 of ice time yesterday as the Americans fell to Sweden 6-2 in their final Preliminary Round contest … Wheeler scored two goals in three games during the first round and ranked second among American forwards, skating in 19:50 of ice time per game … The U.S. begins the Qualification Round on Friday, squaring off against Evander Kane, Andrew Ladd, and the Canadian squad. Evander Kane had two assists in the Preliminary Round while Ladd was held pointless..
* The Qualification Round begins today with Russia taking on Denmark and Switzerland facing Norway … The remaining eight advancing teams will be in action on Friday … The Qualification Round consists of the top three teams from each Preliminary Round group split into two new groups (Group E and Group F) … The teams carry over points earned in games played against other advancing teams and play a single round robin within their new group.
UPDATE : Wednesday, May 4
* Forward Evander Kane picked up his second assist of the tournament for Canada in a 4-3 victory vs. Switzerland …Kane posted two assists, along with a plus-3 rating, in 13:06 of ice time per game in the Preliminary Round … Canada finished in first place in Group B with two regulation wins and one overtime victory.
* Tim Stapleton, Blake Wheeler, Mark Stuart and the rest of the American squad can clinch a first place finish in Group C with a win against Sweden at 2:15 p.m. … The U.S. has defeated Austria (5-1) and Norway (4-2) in their two Preliminary Round contests … They have secured a berth in the Qualification Round regardless of today’s result.
* Ondrej Pavelec and his Czech Republic teammates are also battling for first place in their group today with a 2:15 p.m. showdown vs. Finland … Pavelec has appeared in both games for the Czech team, posting one shutout, with a 1.00 GAA and a .958 save percentage.
UPDATE : Tuesday, May 3
* Tim Stapleton earned one assist and a plus-1 rating in 10:45 of ice time as the United States erased a 2-0 deficit en route to a 4-2 victory against Norway on Monday … Blake Wheeler skated in 21:02 of ice time, registering three shots on goal, while captain Mark Stuart saw 16:19 of ice time … The Americans, who clinched a berth in the Qualification Round with the win, close out their Preliminary Round schedule on Wednesday, May 4 vs. Sweden.
* Goaltender Ondrej Pavelec made his second straight appearance for the Czech Republic, turning aside all 24 shots he faced in a 6-0 win vs. Denmark … The Czech team has won both of the Preliminary Round games and will face Finland in their final game on Wednesday, with first place in Group D on the line.
* Evander Kane and Andrew Ladd are in action today at 10:15 a.m. when the Canadians close out their Preliminary Round schedule vs. Switzerland.
* The Qualification Round begins on Thursday, May 5 with the top three teams from each group moving on to play a single round robin to decide the Quarterfinal matchups.
UPDATE : Monday, May 2
* Forward Blake Wheeler scored one goal and earned a plus-1 rating in 20:02 of ice time in the United States’ 5-1 win against Austria on Saturday … Defenseman Mark Stuart, who was named captain of the American team, skated in 14:46, while Tim Stapleton took two shots on goal in 11:44 of action … The U.S. returns to action today at 10:15 a.m. when they square off with Norway, who opened the tournament with a 5-4 overtime victory versus Sweden.
* Evander Kane earned his first point of the tournament with one assist in Canada’s opening round 4-1 defeat of Belarus … Kane is averaging 12:42 of ice time and has earned a plus-2 rating during the first two Preliminary Round victories … Andrew Ladd has posted a plus-1 rating in 14:27 of average ice time through two games.
* Goaltender Ondrej Pavelec turned aside 22-of-24 shots in the Czech Republic’s 4-2 win against Latvia on Saturday … Arturs Kulda skated in 21:20 during that contest … Both teams play their second Preliminary Round game today as Czech Republic faces Denmark and Latvia takes on Finland. Kulda received a three-game suspension for an unpenalized hit in Saturday's game and will not be in action.
The 16 teams are divided into four groups in the Preliminary Round.
|Group A: ||Group B: ||Group C: ||Group D: |
|(Bratislava) ||(Košice) ||(Košice) ||(Bratislava) |
| Russia || Canada || Sweden || Finland |
| Slovakia || Switzerland || USA || Czech Rep. |
| Germany || Belarus || Norway || Latvia |
| Slovenia || France || Austria || Denmark |
*All times are Eastern Time Zone.
|Fri, April 29 || 1 ||10:15 a.m. A ||Bratislava || Germany ||vs. || Russia |
|Fri, April 29 || 2 ||10:15 a.m. B ||Košice || Switzerland ||vs. || France |
|Fri, April 29 || 3 ||2:15 p.m. A ||Bratislava || Slovakia ||vs. || Slovenia |
|Fri, April 29 || 4 ||2:15 p.m. B ||Košice || Belarus ||vs. || Canada |
|Sat, April 30 || 5 ||10:15 a.m. D ||Bratislava || Finland ||vs. || Denmark |
|Sat, April 30 || 6 ||10:15 a.m. C ||Košice || USA ||vs. || Austria |
|Sat, April 30 || 7 ||2:15 p.m. D ||Bratislava || Czech Rep. ||vs. || Latvia |
|Sat, April 30 || 8 ||2:15 p.m. C ||Košice || Norway ||vs. || Sweden |
|Sun, May 1 || 9 ||10:15 a.m. A ||Bratislava || Russia ||vs. || Slovenia |
|Sun, May 1 ||10 ||10:15 a.m. B ||Košice || Canada ||vs. || France |
|Sun, May 1 ||11 ||2:15 p.m. A ||Bratislava || Slovakia ||vs. || Germany |
|Sun, May 1 ||12 ||2:15 p.m. B ||Košice || Switzerland ||vs. || Belarus |
|Mon, May 2 ||13 ||10:15 a.m. D ||Bratislava || Czech Rep. ||vs. || Denmark |
|Mon, May 2 ||14 ||10:15 a.m. C ||Košice || USA ||vs. || Norway |
|Mon, May 2 ||15 ||2:15 p.m. D ||Bratislava || Latvia ||vs. || Finland |
|Mon, May 2 ||16 ||2:15 p.m. C ||Košice || Sweden ||vs. || Austria |
|Tue, May 3 ||17 ||10:15 a.m. A ||Bratislava || Slovenia ||vs. || Germany |
|Tue, May 3 ||18 ||10:15 a.m. B ||Košice || Canada ||vs. || Switzerland |
|Tue, May 3 ||19 ||2:15 p.m. A ||Bratislava || Russia ||vs. || Slovakia |
|Tue, May 3 ||20 ||2:15 p.m. B ||Košice || France ||vs. || Belarus |
|Wed, May 4 ||21 ||10:15 a.m. D ||Bratislava || Denmark ||vs. || Latvia |
|Wed, May 4 ||22 ||10:15 a.m. C ||Košice || Austria ||vs. || Norway |
|Wed, May 4 ||23 ||2:15 p.m. D ||Bratislava || Finland ||vs. || Czech Rep. |
|Wed, May 4 ||24 ||2:15 p.m. C ||Košice || Sweden ||vs. || USA |
|Thu, May 5 ||27 ||2:15 p.m. E ||Bratislava ||2A ||vs. ||3D |
|Thu, May 5 ||28 ||2:15 p.m. F ||Košice ||2B ||vs. ||3C |
|Fri, May 6 ||29 ||10:15 a.m. E ||Bratislava ||1A ||vs. ||2D |
|Fri, May 6 ||30 ||10:15 a.m. F ||Košice ||1B ||vs. ||2C |
|Fri, May 6 ||31 ||2:15 p.m. E ||Bratislava ||1D ||vs. ||3A |
|Fri, May 6 ||32 ||2:15 p.m. F ||Košice ||1C ||vs. ||3B |
|Sat, May 7 ||35 ||10:15 a.m. E ||Bratislava ||3D ||vs. ||1A |
|Sat, May 7 ||36 ||10:15 a.m. F ||Košice ||3C ||vs. ||1B |
|Sat, May 7 ||37 ||2:15 p.m. E ||Bratislava ||2D ||vs. ||3A |
|Sat, May 7 ||38 ||2:15 p.m. F ||Košice ||2C ||vs. ||3B |
|Sun, May 8 ||39 ||10:15 a.m. E ||Bratislava ||1D ||vs. ||2A |
|Sun, May 8 ||40 ||10:15 a.m. F ||Košice ||1C ||vs. ||2B |
|Mon, May 9 ||43 ||6:15 a.m. E ||Bratislava ||3A ||vs. ||3D |
|Mon, May 9 ||44 ||6:15 a.m. F ||Košice ||3B ||vs. ||3C |
|Mon, May 9 ||45 ||10:15 a.m. E ||Bratislava ||2A ||vs. ||2D |
|Mon, May 9 ||46 ||10:15 a.m. F ||Košice ||2B ||vs. ||2C |
|Mon, May 9 ||47 ||2:15 p.m. E ||Bratislava ||1A ||vs. ||1D |
|Mon, May 9 ||48 ||2:15 p.m. F ||Košice ||1B ||vs. ||1C |
|Thu, May 5 ||25 ||10:15 a.m. ||Bratislava ||4A ||vs. ||4D |
|Thu, May 5 ||26 ||10:15 a.m. ||Košice ||4B ||vs. ||4C |
|Sat, May 7 ||33 ||6:15 a.m. ||Bratislava ||4C ||vs. ||4A |
|Sat, May 7 ||34 ||6:15 a.m. ||Košice ||4B ||vs. ||4D |
|Sun, May 8 ||41 ||2:15 p.m. ||Bratislava ||4A ||vs. ||4B |
|Sun, May 8 ||42 ||2:15 p.m. ||Košice ||4D ||vs. ||4C |
|Wed, May 11 ||49 ||10:15 a.m. ||Bratislava ||QF1 TBD ||vs. ||TBD |
|Wed, May 11 ||50 ||2:15 p.m. ||Bratislava ||QF2 TBD ||vs. ||TBD |
|Thu, May 12 ||51 ||10:15 a.m. ||Bratislava ||QF3 TBD ||vs. ||TBD |
|Thu, May 12 ||52 ||2:15 p.m. ||Bratislava ||QF4 TBD ||vs. ||TBD |
*On May 11 and 12, 1E-4F and 2F-3E will be allocated on one day and 1F-4E and 2E-3F on the other day (afternoon and evening slot to be determined). If Slovakia qualifies for the quarterfinals, Slovakia will play the 20:15 game on May 11 (#50).Semi-finals
|Fri, May 13 ||53 ||10:15 a.m. ||Bratislava ||SF1 W(QF1) ||vs. ||W(QF2) |
|Fri, May 13 ||54 ||2:15 p.m. ||Bratislava ||SF2 W(QF3) ||vs. ||W(QF4) |
|Sun, May 15 ||55 ||10:00 a.m. ||Bratislava ||L(SF1) ||vs. ||L(SF2) |
*Game schedule subject to change.
|Sun, May 15 ||56 ||2:30 p.m. ||Bratislava ||W(SF1) ||vs. ||(W(SF2) |