Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Winnipeg Jets

Jets finish tournament with 2-0 win

by Staff Writer / Winnipeg Jets


The Winnipeg Jets (2-1) met the Young Stars of the Vancouver Canucks (2-2) to close out the Penticton tournament on Thursday afternoon. The young Canucks are a familiar group to hockey fans in Winnipeg, as many have recently spent time playing for the Manitoba Moose.

It was the last opportunity for many of the players on both teams to make an impression on the coaching and management staff, so the game started with an extra little jump.  Early consecutive penalties to Frankie Corrado of the Canucks and Shayne Wiebe of the Jets further opened up the ice.

8:24 into the first period, Scheifele dished the puck behind the net to Jason Gregoire who wrapped the puck around to the front of Karel St. Laurent’s net. Scheifele retrieved a rebound, got a shot off, before it fell to Shayne Wiebe who banked the puck into the Canucks goal, giving the Jets a 1-0 lead.

With six minutes left in the first frame, Michael Kirkpatrick drew a tripping call, sending former Manitoba Moose Stefan Schneider to the box. The first full man-advantage for the Jets provided a few quality chances, as the top line of Scheifele, Gregoire and Wiebe went to work. 2011 Memorial Cup winning goaltender Karel St. Laurent kept the Jets powerplay off the board.

The period ended with Jets goaltender Edward Pasquale stopping all seven Canucks shots to remain perfect at the tournament.

Four minutes into the second period the Canucks were pressing with some good pressure in the Jets zone. At one point, with Pasquale sprawling on the ice, the Canucks had their first big opportunity of the game as Alex Friesen lifted the puck up, and just over of the Jets net.

Halfway through the second period, coach Keith McCambridge decided to make a change in net, sending Chris Carrozzi into the Jets’ crease after Edward Pasquale had played 91:28 consecutive minutes without allowing a single goal.

Late in the second period Michael Kirkpatrick had a couple of terrific chances on his former Saint John Sea Dogs teammate Karel St. Laurent. The Canucks goaltender won this round, keeping the puck out of the net.

The first half of the third period saw back-and-forth play with each team managing some quality shots. The goaltenders stood tall and kept the game close.

At 11:36 into the third period, Mark Scheifele took possession of the puck after a Canucks Turnover. Sitting in the high slot, Scheifele skated towards the Canucks net and fired a shot past Karel St. Laurent, giving the Jets a 2-0 lead.

The Canucks made their final push with a minute left in the game as coach Craig McTavish pulled St. Laurent, leaving the Vancouver net empty. Despite the final flurry of shots, the Jets maintained their 2-0 lead for their second win of the tournament.

Three Stars:
  1. Shayne Wiebe – the Brandon native scored the opening goal, and was flying all over the ice.
  2. Mark Scheiefele – scored a third period goal, helped set up the first goal of the game.
  3. Jason Gregoire – the most reliable forward for the Winnipeg Jets all tournament long continued his strong play.
View More