Patrik Laine will play tonight after missing eight games with a concussion, Head Coach Paul Maurice confirms.
In a corresponding move, Drew Stafford has been placed on IR retroactive to Jan. 21. According to Maurice, the injury is not expected to be long-term, and Stafford could be available within a week following the upcoming NHL All-Star break.
Projected forward lines and D pairs:
Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Copp - Little - Wheeler
Matthias - Lowry - Armia
Tanev - Petan - Thorburn
Morrissey - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Trouba
Stuart - Postma
Ondrej Pavelec will start in goal for the fourth straight game.
Mathieu Perreault, who left Monday's game early in the first period after being slashed by Anaheim forward Corey Perry, will not play tonight. There is currently no update on his condition, or when he might be expected back.
JETS GAME NOTES
The Winnipeg Jets finish a four-game homestand tonight against the San Jose Sharks, who also play in Winnipeg on March 6…The Jets lost 3-2 to the Anaheim Ducks last night, which ended a two-game winning streak…Andrew Copp and Nikolaj Ehlers scored for the Jets last night…The Sharks are also playing on back-to-back nights, having beating the Colorado Avalanche 5-2 last night…The Jets visit the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday in their last game before this weekend's all-star break.
Tonight is the last of seven games the Jets play against Pacific Division teams in a 16-day span (Jan. 9-24)…After last night's loss, the Jets are 5-8-1 against Pacific Division teams this season, but have yet to beat one of the three teams in the division currently holding a divisional playoff spot - Anaheim, San Jose and Edmonton (0-5-0)…Last season, the Jets went 12-8-1 against Pacific Division opponents.
Back at It
The Jets play their third of three back-to-back sets on their January schedule this week against Anaheim and San Jose…The Jets are 4-4-1 in the first game of back-to-backs and 4-3-1 in the second game of back-to-back games this season…The Jets play two back-to-back sets in February…This is the fifth time since the franchise relocated to Winnipeg that the Jets play on back-to-back days at home.
With 50 games played, the Jets are one of four teams in the NHL that have played the most games this season…Leading into the NHL All-Star Break, the Jets play 11 games in 20 days from Jan. 7-26...So far, the Jets are 3-5-1 in the stretch…It's one game shy of the 12 games in 20 days the Jets played from Nov. 1-20 earlier this season.
Special Teams Notes
- The Jets have played 31:55 more on the power play than the penalty kill at home this season, but have played 47:48 more on the penalty kill than on the power play on the road.
- The Jets have been shorthanded 63 times in the third period this season, which is tied for the most in the league.
- Winnipeg is 5-for-19 (26.3%) on the power play in their last five games.
- The Jets are 28-for-34 (82.4%) on the penalty kill in their last nine games.
- The Jets have allowed one power play goal in six of their last seven games.
Team Quick Hits
- The Jets have taken 356 shots in January, which is tied for fourth in the NHL, but have also given up 358 shots, which is third most in the NHL this month.
- The Jets have taken 198 minor penalties this season, which is second in the NHL behind Calgary's 221 minors.
Ehlers Strikes Again
Nikolaj Ehlers extended his goal scoring streak to three games with a third period goal last night…Since Dec. 10 when he broke a 15-game goalless drought in Calgary, Ehlers is tied for second in the NHL with 13 goals in 20 games…With 17 goals in 50 games this season, he's already eclipsed the 15 goals in 72 games his scored last season as a rookie…Remarkably, 14 of Ehlers' 17 goals this season have come in the third period.
Mark Scheifele's assist last night extended his point streak to five games (2g, 5a)…It's tied for his longest point streak of the season (Nov. 4-11 - 5g, 6a).
Player Quick Hits
- In addition to Scheifele's point streak, Jacob Trouba (1g, 3a), Nikolaj Ehlers (3g, 1a) and Bryan Little (3g, 2a) are on three-game point streaks.
- Patrik Laine is tied for the NHL lead with 15 goals at home.
- Mark Scheifele is tied for the NHL lead with 16 wrist shot goals and has a 27.6% (16-for-58) shooting percentage when taking a wrist shot this season.
- Blake Wheeler has 17 points (7g, 10a) in his last 18 games and hasn't gone back-to-back games without a point since Dec. 8-11.
- Dustin Byfuglien leads all NHLers with 1,363:44 TOI this season and is the only player in the NHL this season to play more than 1,300 minutes.
Jets vs. Sharks All-Time Records
At MTS Centre: 2-3-0