WINNIPEG - We had a great first season producing Ground Control - The Official Podcast of the Winnipeg Jets during the 2018-19 season. While we take a hiatus to refresh ourselves for another NHL campaign, we thought we would give you a chance to listen back to some of our favourite podcasts. Here they are in no particular order.
- Paul Bissonette, Coyotes Colour Analyst (Episode 1) 13 minute mark - Our timing couldn't have worked out better for the debut of Ground Control with the Arizona Coyotes in Winnipeg for a game. Bissonette had been on the JetsTV Live Pregame show and really needs no introduction for his tremendous work on social media and as a co-host of the Spittin' Chicklets Podcast. Bissonnette talks about his adjustment to being a member of the media, his fight with former Jet, Anthony Peluso, at Bell MTS Place and tells a great story about former Jet/Coyote, Shane Doan.
- Adam Lowry, Winnipeg Jets Centre (Episode 13) 15:30 mark - Always fun to sit down with Adam Lowry. The Calgary product chats about his success on the ice - specifically in the face-off dot. Lowry also talks about the thirst for a third goal when a player already has two on the night. It was a pleasure to have Adam on the show and we hope you enjoy the interview.
- Kevin Sawyer TSN Colour Analyst (Episode 8) - First, the location of this recording was memorable - Tyler Esquivel, Kevin and I sat down in Tyler's hotel room in New York during the Jets three game road trip through New York, New Jersey and Brooklyn. Sawyer scored his first NHL goal at Madison Square Garden in 2001 and had brought his family to the big apple to take a trip through memory lane. Sawyer also discusses his time in the NHL, playing with the great Paul Kariya and Disneyland.
- Chris Peters, NHL Draft and Prospect Analyst for ESPN (Episode 11) 14:05 mark - In the spirit of the upcoming NHL Draft, this podcast is a dandy. Chris joined us while he was covering the 2019 World Junior Hockey Championships in Vancouver/Victoria in late December. Peters goes over the big names in the upcoming NHL Draft like Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko plus what players will be available for the Jets later in the draft. He also expresses his admiration for the Jets drafting and their scouting staff and management group.
- Paul Maurice, Head Coach Winnipeg Jets (Episode 15) 7:30 mark - Maurice came on the Podcast at All-Star Weekend in San Jose which was the perfect time to have a relaxed version of the Jets' bench boss. Maurice was named coach of the Central Division team which marked the second time he received the honour. The other time was back in 1997 in San Jose where he served as an assistant coach for the Eastern Conference All-Star team that included Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Messier, Bourque and Brodeur. Maurice talks about the team photo that year, coaching in the All-Star game 22 years later and his appreciation for the talent of the great Bob Cole who retired from the booth this season.
While the summer means JetsTV gets some time to rest, the crew will release a few new podcasts throughout the summer. Check back around the NHL Draft and the Winnipeg Jets Development Camp for new episodes.