NEW YORK ISLANDERS (6-3-3) VS. NEW JERSEY DEVILS (6-4-1)
7 P.M. BARCLAYS CENTER, MSG+, CHANNEL FINDER, WNYE 91.5 FM, WRHU 88.7 FM, LI NEWS 103.9 FM, BUY TICKETS
1. John Tavares Skates, Won't Play Tuesday: John Tavares skated with the Islanders extra forwards Tuesday, but won't play against the Devils. The Islanders captain will miss his third straight game as a result of flu-like symptoms.
2. Running with the Devils: The Islanders play the Devils for the second time in four days after the two teams played in Newark on Halloween. The Islanders lost the first meeting of the season 3-2 in a shootout, but appeared to be the better team, holding New Jersey to 17 shots, including 10 in the second, third and overtime periods combined. In total, the Islanders have won six-of-their-last-seven games against the Devils.
3. Five-on-Five Slump: While the Islanders special teams have rocketed to the top of the league, the team’s five-on-five offense has slowed down over the past three games, scoring only two even strength goals.
“We need to be better five on five as a whole,” Kyle Okposo said. “Over the course of the 12 games, our five on five play hasn’t been great. Our special teams are really clicking right now … We need to pick our five-on-five game up and make sure we’re ready to go.”
4. Third Jerseys: The Islanders are debuting their black-and-white alternate jerseys Tuesday night against the Devils. The first 10,000 fans will receive a complimentary t-shirt to mark the occasion.
5. Schneider Starts: Cory Schneider will start Tuesday’s game against the Islanders. The Devils’ goalie is 6-2-1 on the season, including a 24-save win over the Islanders on Saturday. Schneider is 2-2-1 with a 1.57 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage lifetime against the Islanders.