SCORESHEET | SUPER STATS
By Kerry Gwydir
The losses hurt even more when your team is leaving everything they have out on the ice.
For the second straight night, the Islanders droppped a 4-2 decision after an empty-netter sealed it. Tonight's loss to the Panthers tonight in South Florida featured the same intense, gritty effort from everyone on the team. Adding to tonight's struggle was that this was the second game of back-to-backs, plus the Islanders were without another key player -- Mike York, who was out with a mild concussion.
After Miroslav Satan tied the game at 2-2 at 7:49 of the third period off a perfect tic-tac-toe passing play, Florida's Juraj Kolnik scored the game-winner with just a littleover five minutes left in the game. Kolnik sailed a wrister through Jason Blake's leg and off Rick DiPietro's shoulder for his tenth goal of the season. Martin Gelias scored the empty net goal at 19:11 of the third.
The Islanders' next game is Sunday in Tampa Bay against the Lightning, who won tonight.
It took the Panthers just 33 seconds to open the scoring as Jay Bouwmeester deflected Sean Hill's point shot inside the left post. Josef Stumpel earned the secondary assist on Bouwmeester's first of the season by finding Hill for the shot from the left point.
With 6:36 left in the same stanza, the Islanders' power play broke an 0 for 29 slump when Miro Satan, playing the right point on the powerplay, snapped a shot through an Alexei Yashin screen behind Florida goaltender Jamie McLennan. Denis Grebeshkov and Shawn Bates registered the assists on the play. It was Grebeshkov's first point as an Islander.
Florida answered with a power play marker of their own with 3:53 left in the second and Wyatt Smith in the penalty box. Joe Nieuwendyk was credited with the goal after DiPietro made a pair of stops on the doorstep off Panther forward Jon Sim.
Notes: Defenseman Joel Bouchard, who missed last night's game with a knee injury, was back in the lineup as Allan Rourke was returned to Bridgeport. With York out, Satan wore one of the As.
(10) Sean Bergenheim -(79) Alexei Yashin-(21) Robert Nilsson
(7) Trent Hunter-(17) Shawn Bates-(81) Miroslav Satan
(15) Jeff Tambellini-(28) Wyatt Smith-(55) Jason Blake
(27) Jeremy Colliton-(49) Eric Godard-(26) Rob Collins
(4) Joel Bouchard-(3) Denis Grebeshkov
(44) John Erskine-(24) Radek Martinek
(14) Chris Campoli-(6) Bruno Gervais
(39) Richard DiPietro
(30) Garth Snow
(23) Martin Gelinas-(12) Olli Jokinen-(15) Josef Stumpel
(85) Rostislav Olesz-(25) Joe Nieuwendyk-(16) Nathan Horton
(11) Jon Sim-(77) Chris Gratton-(3) Juraj Kolnik
(44) Greg Campbell-(42) Mikhail Yakubov-(43) Serge Payer
(4) Jay Bouwmeester-(22) Sean Hill
(20) Joel Kwiatkowski-(26) Mike Van Ryn
(7) Steve Montador-(55) Ric Jackman
(29) Jamie McLennan
(1) Roberto Luongo