The New York Islanders 2008-09 full season schedule has been released and features 15 Saturday home games, nine matinee home games, including five on holidays, and two home games on Sunday afternoon. The Islanders will open the season on the road on Friday, October 10th at New Jersey before returning for the home opener on Saturday, October 11th vs. St. Louis.
Single-game tickets are scheduled to go on sale at the Nassau Coliseum box office on the morning of Saturday, September 13th. The Islanders will also announce the 2008-09 partial plans in the coming weeks. Check back to the Islanders website for more details on both subjects. Fans interested in season tickets should call an Islanders sales executive at 1-800-882-ISLES. If you are interested in sharing season or partial season tickets with a fellow Islanders fan, logon on to the Islanders official message board, Islander Mania, to make the right connection at the Share-A-Ticket forum. Click here
to watch Islanders radio play-by-play man Steve Mears give instant analysis on the Islanders schedule.Here’s the breakdown and highlights of the schedule:
- Home Opener: Saturday, October 11th vs. St. Louis; 7:00 PM
Kids Opening Day: Monday, October 13th vs. Buffalo; 2:00 PM
- Of the 15 Saturday home games, two are matinees: March 7 vs. New Jersey; 2:00 PM and April 11 vs. Philadelphia; 2:00 PM.
- Of the nine matinees, five are on holidays and at 2:00 PM: Columbus Day (October 13th vs. Buffalo), Veterans Day (November 11th vs. Philadelphia), New Year’s Eve (December 31st vs. Florida), Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 19th vs. Washington) and Presidents’ Day (February 16th vs. Pittsburgh)
- Three home games versus the New York Rangers, all weekday and at 7:00 PM: (October 27th, January 13th and March 5th)
- Back-to-Back weekend home matinees to closeout the regular season; (April 11th versus Philadelphia; 2:00 PM and April 12th vs. Boston; 5:00 PM)
- The new NHL schedule matrix has every team in the league playing each other at least once. The Islanders will play Eastern Division rivals New Jersey, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins now six times (three home, three away). The Islanders will continue to play Northeast and Southeast teams four times (two home, two away). New to this season’s schedule is the Islanders playing every team from the Western Conference at least once, either home or away. There will be three “at-large” opponents from the West that the Islanders will play twice (once home, once away) and those teams are: Columbus (November 3rd; 7:00 PM), Phoenix (March 8th; 3;00 PM) and Minnesota (March 25th; 7:00 PM). Other Western Conference teams the Islanders will play only at home and at 7:00 PM are: St. Louis on October 11th, Dallas on October 23rd, Vancouver on November 17, Anaheim on January 21st, Los Angeles on February 10, Colorado on March 2 and Minnesota on March 25th.