|New York Islanders
1-0-0 (2 points – 2nd in Metropolitan Division, 7th in Eastern Conference)
|Columbus Blue Jackets |
0-1-0 (0 points - 6th in Metropolitan Division, 12th in Eastern Conference)
|7:00 p.m. |
Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WHRU 88.7 FM, WRCN 103.9 FM
Chris King: Play-by-play
|2011-12 season series (0-1-0) |
You have to go all the way back to the final game of the 2011-12 season to find the last time the Islanders and Blue Jackets met. Although Columbus is part of the Metropolitan Division, they have resided in the Central throughout their franchise's history, and didn't visit New York every season. On April 7, 2012, Columbus skated to a 7-3 victory at Nationwide Arena despite Kyle Okposo's ninth goal in as many games and Michael Grabner notching his 20th tally of the season.
Apr. 7, 2012: CBJ 7, NYI 3 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|Blue Jackets player to watch |
Marian Gaborik - Right Wing
Gaborik, who Columbus acquired at last year's trade deadline, posted a goal and an assist in the Blue Jackets season opener. The 31-year-old winger, who spent most of last season with the New York Rangers, lit the lamp in all three games he played against the Islanders last season, adding an assist as well. Gaborik is deadly on the power play, and throughout his 13-year NHL career, has always been reliable for at least three or four shots per game.
|Islanders Storylines |
• Michael Grabner notched two goals and an assist in Friday's season opener at New Jersey. It marked his second two-goal effort in his last seven games.
• The Islanders and Blue Jackets are meeting for the first time since April 7, 2012, and just the 15th time overall. New York and Columbus will go head-to-head four times in 2013-14.
• Evgeni Nabokov stoped 26-of-29 shots in regulation and overtime on Oct. 4 at New Jersey, and turned aside all six attempts in the shootout, as the Islanders won their season opener 4-3.
|The Matchup |
|Blue Jackets |
|New York Islanders previous game lines |
26 Matt Moulson – 91 John Tavares – 21 Kyle Okposo
12 Josh Bailey – 51 Frans Nielsen – 40 Michael Grabner
29 Brock Nelson – 16 Peter Regin – 96 Pierre-Marc Bouchard
17 Matt Martin – 53 Casey Cizikas – 13 Colin McDonald
47 Andrew MacDonald – 3 Travis Hamonic
11 Lubomir Visnovsky – 14 Thomas Hickey
37 Brian Strait – 46 Matt Donovan
20 Evgeni Nabokov
60 Kevin Poulin
|Columbus Blue Jackets previous game lines |
38 Boone Jenner - 17 Brandon Dubinsky - 10 Marian Gaborik
11 Matt Calvert - 19 Ryan Johansen - 13 Cam Atkinson
55 Mark Letestu - 42 Artem Anisimov - 14 Blake Comeau
18 R.J. Umberger - 24 Derek MacKenzie - 71 Nick Foligno
7 Jack Johnson - 47 Dalton Prout
27 Ryan Murray - 21 James Wisniewski
6 Nikita Nikitin - 58 David Savard
72 Sergei Bobrovsky
31 Curtis McElhinney
| ||What's Happening at the Coliseum 10/5/13 |
• 4:30pm – Fan Fest on the Box Office Plaza with live band & inflatables
• MSG+ Magnetic schedules & Subway coupons for the first 10,000 fans
• Hockey Fights Cancer Kick Off: Proceeds from Pink cotton candy go to HFC Campaign. Donation slips available on concourse.
• Mercedes Benz of Massapequa Chuck-A-Puck