The Islanders are looking to rebound off a 6-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Monday night. Jordan Eberle scored 18 seconds into the contest, but the Rangers, powered by a five-point game from Artemi Panarin, scored six straight goals to upend the Isles. Monday's loss snapped the Islanders' three-game point streak (2-0-1).
The Red Wings are coming off a 5-1 loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday. Madison Bowey scored the Red Wings' lone goal. The loss snapped the Red Wings two-game winning streak.
MORNING SKATE UPDATES:
- Thomas Greiss was the first goaltender off at morning skate and is projected to start tonight against the Red Wings. Greiss has made 19 starts this season and has a record 12-7-0, a 2.57 goals against average and a save percentage of .919.
- Casey Cizikas will miss his second-straight game. Cizikas left the Isles game against Boston on Saturday in overtime after blocking a shot in the groin.
"He won't be in tonight," Head coach Barry Trotz confirmed. "I don't think he's too long term, but we're hoping maybe the next Ranger one [on Thursday.]"
- Otto Koivula was recalled from Bridgeport prior to Monday's night against the Rangers. Coach Trotz said their is a possibility that Koivula could play against Detroit. Koivula has played in six NHL games for the Islanders from Nov. 16 to Dec. 2.
- The Isles are eager to get back on the ice to put Monday's one-sided loss behind them - a result Barry Trotz said the Isles deserved in his post-game diagnosis. The six goals against was the most they allowed since an 8-3 loss to Nashville on Dec. 17 - the result of too many turnovers and odd-man rushes.
"Any time to you lay an egg it's a disappointing," Eberle said. "The best part is we have a good group of guys here and a lot of character. I don't expect this to flop over to tomorrow. We'll be ready to go."
- Eberle finished Monday's game with a team-high two points (1G, 1A). His goal was his fifth of the season and second in last three games. Overall, Eberle has three points (2G, 1A) in his last three contests.
- The Islanders did have three power plays in Monday's loss, ending a (club record) nine-game streak of two or fewer power-play opportunities in a game. The Isles went 1-for-3 on the man advantage on Monday, with Brock Nelson scoring late.
- Thomas Greiss is expected to start the second night of the Islanders' back-to-back. Greiss won his last start, making 32 saves in a 4-3 OT win over New Jersey on Jan. 7. Greiss also relieved Semyon Varlamov in the second half of the third period of Monday's game after Varlamov allowed six goals on 35 shots. Greiss, who is 12-7-0 this season with a 2.57 GAA and a .919 SV%, has five wins vs the Red Wings since joining the Isles.
- Casey Cizikas missed Monday's game with a lower-body injury, after taking a David Pastrnak shot to the groin in overtime of Sunday's 3-2 loss to Boston.
- Otto Koivula and Sebastian Aho were both recalled from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Monday. Aho has shuttled back and forth between Bridgeport and Long Island since initially being recalled on Jan. 3, while Koivula is back with the club for the first time since Dec. 6.
Koivula played six games with the Islanders back in mid-November through early December, but did not register a point. The Finnish center recorded a hat-trick on Sunday with the Sound Tigers.
- The Isles are 4-1-0 in the back half of back-to-backs this season and are 15-2-1 on the second night of back-to-backs under Trotz.
RED WINGS NOTES:
- It's been a tough season for Detroit, who is currently last in the NHL with 27 points, making them the lone team to surpass 30 points this season. The Red Wings are last in goals for (100) and goals against (175).
- Jonathan Bernier will be out until after the All-Star break with a lower-body injury. The injury comes at an inopportune time for the Red Wings' netminder, as Bernier was 5-3-0 with a 2.09 GAA and a .937 SV% in his last nine starts.
- Jimmy Howard is expected to see a bulk of the work in Bernier's absence. Howard is 2-15-1 this season with a 4.10 GAA, an .880 SV% and has not won since Oct. 29 and is winless in his last 11 starts (0-10-1). Calvin Pickard was recalled from Grand Rapids on Sunday.
- The Red Wings have been hit hard by injuries this year and are currently without Anthony Mantha, Andreas Athanasiou and Danny DeKeyser. Mantha's 12 goals are second on the Red Wings.
- Tyler Bertuzzi leads the Red Wings in goals (16) and points (34) and is second in assists with 18. Bertuzzi will represent the Red Wings at the NHL All-Star Weekend in St. Louis.
ISLES VS RED WINGS:
The Islanders are 1-0-0 against the Red Wings this season after claiming a 4-1 win in Detroit on Dec. 2. Jordan Eberle scored a pair of third period goals, while Anders Lee (1G, 1A), Josh Bailey (2A), and Ryan Pulock (2A) all finished with two points. Semyon Varlamov turned aside 30-of-31 shots, while Dylan Larkin scored the lone Red Wings goal.
The Islanders have won six of the past eight meetings with the Red Wings.