|New York Islanders
31-37-11 (73 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
|Montreal Canadiens |
45-27-8 (98 points - 2nd in Atlantic Division, 3rd in Eastern Conference)
|7:30 p.m. |
Television: MSG PLUS 2
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
|Islanders Storylines |
• Final Three: The Islanders play their final three games of the 2013-14 season on the road.
• Strome: Ryan Strome was named to the AHL’s All-Rookie Team on Wednesday.
• Sundstrom: Johan Sundstrom was recalled on emergency basis from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Wednesday.
• Clutterbuck: Cal Clutterbuck left Tuesday’s game with an upper-body injury and did not return.
|Canadiens Storylines |
• Vanek: Former-Islander Thomas Vanek faces his old team for the first time since being dealt at the March 5 trade deadline.
• Postseason Berth: The Canadiens clinched a postseason berth on April 1 and will face the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round.
• Pacioretty: Max Pacioretty is tied for third in the league with 39 goals, a career-high. Pacioretty leads the Habs with 60 points this season.
|Islanders player to watch |
Frans Nielsen - Forward
Frans Nielsen is having a career-year for the Islanders, setting new highs in goals (25) and points (54). Nielsen leads all active Islanders in scoring, but sits behind John Tavares and Kyle Okposo for the overall lead. The Herning, Denmark native has goals in two of his last three games and his tally against the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday was his 250th career point.
|Canadiens player to watch |
Thomas Vanek - Forward
Thomas Vanek will square off against the Islanders for the first time since being dealt by the team at the March 5 trade deadline. Vanek scored 44 points (17G, 24A) in 47 games for the Islanders and has 15 points (6G, 9A) in 15 games for the Canadiens. The former-Islander is heating up alongside Max Pacioretty, having scored nine points (2G, 7A) in his last six games.
|2013-14 season series (0-1-1) |
The Islanders are 0-1-1 against the Canadiens this season. Ryan Strome debuted in the Islanders most recent outing against the Habs, a 1-0 overtime loss at Nassau Coliseum. Evgeni Nabokov made 24 saves in his first game since Nov. 18, but the Isles could not solve Carey Price, who had a 21-save shutout..
Dec. 14, 2013: MTL 1, NYI 0 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|The Matchup |
|New York Islanders previous game lines |
27 Anders Lee – 51 Frans Nielsen – 12 Josh Bailey
56 John Persson – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
43 Mike Halmo – 53 Casey Cizikas – 59
24 Kevin Czuczman – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 7 Matt Carkner
46 Matt Donovan – 42 Scott Mayfield
45 Anders Nilsson
20 Evgeni Nabokov
|Montreal Canadiens previous game lines |
67 Max Pacioretty – 51 David Desharnais – 20 Thomas Vanek
27 Alex Galchenyuk – 14 Tomas Pleckanec – 11 Brendan Gallagher
17 Rene Bourque – 48 Danny Briere – 21 Brian Gionta
49 Michael Bournival – 53 Ryan White – 22 Dale Weise
79 Andrei Markov – 74 Alexei Emelin
26 Josh Gorges – 76 P.K. Subban
24 Jarred Tinordi – 43 Mike Weaver
30 Peter Budaj
31 Carey Price
| ||Quote of the Day: |
Head Coach Jack Capuano:
When we get our team back and we’re ready and play the way that we can play, I have a lot of faith in our guys that we can make a push next year and get in the dance.