|New York Islanders
24-32-8 (56 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
|Edmonton Oilers |
21-34-8 (50 points - 7th in Pacific Division, 14th in Western Conference)
|9:30 p.m. |
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Jiggs McDonald; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
|Islanders Storylines |
• Road Islanders: The Islanders are 11-3-0 in their last 14 road games.
• MacDonald Traded: Andrew MacDonald was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for two draft picks and a prospect on Tuesday.
• Vanek Traded: Thomas Vanek was traded to Montreal for Sebastian Collberg and a conditional 2nd-round pick.
• Lee Lights the Lamp: Anders Lee has four points (3G, 1A) in four games since being recalled on Feb. 24.
|Oilers Storylines |
• Crease Shuffling: The Oilers acquired goaltender Viktor Fasth from the Anaheim Ducks and shipped goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to the Minnesota Wild.
• Kids and the Hall: Taylor Hall leads the Oilers with 58 points (20G, 38A), while young forwards Jordan Eberle (20-27-47) and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (15-28-43) are second and third, respectively.
• Hemsky: Longtime-Oiler Ales Hemsky was dealt to the Ottawa Senators for draft picks on Wednesday.
|Islanders player to watch |
Colin McDonald - Forward
Colin McDonald picked up his fifth goal of the season Tuesday night in Winnipeg. playing with Ryan Strome and Anders Lee. McDonald brings energy and a physical presence to the Islanders bottom six and is third on the team with 156 hits. The Islanders grinder has shown that he fits in well on both the third and fourth lines.
|Oilers player to watch |
Jordan Eberle- Forward
Jordan Eberle is the second leading scorer on the Oilers with 47 points this season (20g/27a). The Regina, Sask., native has points in two straight games for the Oilers, including the game-winning goal Tuesday against the Ottawa Senators. Eberle is a core piece of the Oilers youth movement and a key offensive threat. Eberle had one assist against the Islanders on Oct. 17.
|2013-14 season series (1-0-0) |
The New York Islanders rallied for a 3-2 win over the Edmonton Oilers in the teams’ first meeting on Oct. 17 at Nassau Coliseum. John Tavares scored the winning goal late in the second period, as he and Kyle Okposo lifted the Islanders out of a 2-1 hole. Josh Bailey also scored for the Islanders, while Evgeni Nabokov made 27 saves in the win.
Oct. 17, 2013: NYI 3, EDM 2 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|The Matchup |
|New York Islanders previous game lines |
40 Michael Grabner – 51 Frans Nielsen – 21 Kyle Okposo
12 Josh Bailey – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
27 Anders Lee – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
17 Matt Martin – 53 Casey Cizikas – 36 Eric Boulton
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 11 Lubomir Visnovsky
37 Brian Strait – 7 Matt Carkner
45 Anders Nilsson
20 Evgeni Nabokov
|Edmonton Oilers previous game lines |
4 Taylor Hall – 93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – 64 Nail Yakupov
83 Ales Hemsky – 89 Sam Gagner – 14 Jordan Eberle
23 Matt Hendricks – 27 Boyd Gordon – 57 David Perron
20 Luke Gazdic – 94 Ryan Smyth – 28 Ryan Jones
15 Nick Schultz – 19 Justin Schultz
21 Andrew Ference – 5 Mark Fraser
85 Martin Marincin – 2 Jeff Petry
35 Viktor Fasth
30 Ben Scrivens
| ||Quote of the Day: |
Jack Capuano on the Isles 3-2 OT win over the Jets:
They had all of those consecutive power plays and we had a short bench. They had extended-zone time and it wore us down a little bit, but I thought our guys stayed with it and stayed the course. With everything that’s going right now, it’s about staying together.