Skip to main content
The Official Site of the New York Islanders

Blackhawks 3, Islanders 2 - OT

by Brian Croce / New York Islanders

Down two goals in the second period, the Islanders stormed back with two unanswered goals against the Chicago Blackhawks, but ultimately fell 3-2 in overtime Thursday at Nassau Coliseum.

Patrick Sharp finished a two-on-one by netting the game-winner off the rebound of a Marian Hossa wrist shot and the Blackhawks beat the Islanders in extra time for the second time in six nights. The Blackhawks improved to 17-8-4 overall.

Travis Hamonic scored his first goal of the season and Michael Grabner netted a tip-in for the Islanders. The team has now picked up 10 points in its last six games (4-0-2), but falls to 9-11-6 on the season.
“We’ve come a long way since three weeks ago,” PA Parenteau said. “We’re playing as a team. We’re desperate out there. We battled back from a two-goal deficit against probably one of the best teams in the league.”

The Blackhawks converted on their first power play, after a Josh Bailey boarding penalty, to go up 1-0. While behind the Islanders’ net, Marian Hossa slid the puck toward the crease and hit Al Montoya’s skate for a ricochet goal at the 11:42 mark of the first period. The goal was the 400th of Hossa’ NHL career.

Off a pass from Hossa, Patrick Sharp ripped a one-timer from the left faceoff circle past Montoya’s blocker side to put the Blackhawks up 2-0 at 2:23 of the second period.

Travis Hamonic cut the deficit to 2-1 with a slap shot from inside the blue line. The goal beat Ray Emery over his blocker at the 18:21 mark of the second period. Parenteau and Matt Moulson picked up assists on the goal as Moulson extended his team-high point streak to six games.

After Hamonic’s goal, the Blackhawks took back-to-back penalties, setting the Islanders up with a 5-on-3 power play for 1:56. Despite the momentum and several good looks at the goal, the Islanders were unable to find the back of the net as Emery preserved the Blackhawks’ lead early in the third period.

With 10:52 gone by in the third, the Islanders tied the game at two when Steve Staios’ slap shot was redirected by Grabner.

The game went into overtime, but it wasn’t long before Hossa and Sharp entered the Islanders’ zone on an odd man rush to end the game. The Islanders fell to 0-6 in games decided after 60 minutes this season, but came away with one point against the Central Division leaders.

“Overall, we have to bear down when it’s time for overtime or (the) shootout, these points are important down the road,” Parenteau said. “But I’m real happy with the effort tonight. Overall the boys showed up and we showed a lot of character.”

The Islanders will wrap up their three-game homestand on Saturday when they square off against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 7 p.m. The Islanders are 0-1-1 against the Penguins this season.

View More