Friday, July 10th
MINI-CAMP IS UNDERWAY
No. 1 draft pick John Tavares
took the ice for the first time wearing an Islanders jersey on Friday morning. Donned in a light blue practice jersey, Tavares and others—such as fellow 2009 draft picks Casey Cizikas
, Anders Lee
and Calvin de Haan
—Joel Rechlicz, Matt Martin
and Justin Dibenedetto
went through a number of drills and instruction.
There were five television cameras on-hand to document Tavares stepping onto the ice.
On the ice with the players was Islanders Head Coach Scott Gordon, Assistant Coach Dean Chynoweth, Bridgeport Sound Tigers Head Coach Jack Capuano and Islanders Executive Director of Player Development Bryan Trottier
"This is an exciting time for all of the prospects," Trottier said just before taking the ice. "It's their first impression of Long Island and our first impression to see them skate as a group. It's a great time for our entire organization."
The energy surrounding this year's Mini-Camp is not lost on Trottier.
"I'm as excited as everyone else to see John on the ice," Trottier said. "It's a fun time for John, it's a fun time for the Islanders and it's a fun time for the fans."NOTES
- Tavares and Group 1 are running through various hockey drills, as Gordon shouts instructions.
- Mikko Koskinen, the 6'5" goaltender that the Isles selected in the second round of this year's draft is in goal right now, towering over the crossbar.
- Assistant coach Dean Chynoweth has broken off into a small group with some of the defenseman, including 2009 pick Calvin de Haan.
- Group 1 left the ice at 12:10pm after doing sprinting the length of the ice and listening to some final instructions from Gordon.
- At the beginning of session two, Josh Bailey led the group in their stretching exercises. Joel Rechlicz had done the same in session one.
- IMPORTANT ADVISORY: The Islanders announced on Friday that due to capacity limitations and the overwhelming level of interest, a limited number of wristbands will be issued to fans for admission into the Prospect Mini-Camp open practice at Islanders Iceworks in Syosset on July 12th. Wristbands will be issued starting at 9am and fans are encouraged to arrive early as admission will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Fans must have a wristband in order to gain access to the rink to watch the open practice. Additional parking is available at the Syosset Long Island Railroad station just east of the practice facility.
to watch video of Day 1 from Camp.CLICK HERE
to read more about Tavares' first day with the Islanders.