RALEIGH, NC - In its fifth year, NHL BREAKOUT `99, the Coolest Game on earth's official street and in-line hockey tournament and festival, stops in Raleigh, North Carolina this Saturday and Sunday, October 2 and 3, at the new Entertainment and Sports Arena, as part of the North American 1999 tour. Respected as the world's premier off-ice outdoor hockey tournament, NHL BREAKOUT '99 will host hundreds of local hockey players of varying skill levels and ages competing in NHL CoolAirTM state-of-the-art inflatable rinks. Fans are encouraged to attend and take part in various hockey activities. Admission for all activities other than organized tournament play is FREE.
WHO: Teams for the Raleigh area in all age groups. Hurricanes players Bates Battaglia, Eric Fichaud, Steve Halko, Byron Ritchie, Tommy Westlund, and Shane Willis are scheduled to visit on Sunday, October 3 from 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, October 2-3, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
WHERE: Entertainment and Sports Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina
WHAT: NHL BREAKOUT `99 will host a variety of hockey-themed activities and entertainment including:
· Approximately 100 local teams of all ages and skill levels will compete in Street and In-Line Hockey Tournaments held in NHL CoolAirTM state-of-the-art inflatable rinks. Prizes will be awarded to champions in each division.
· NHL Light the LampTM, a newly added tour attraction, challenges kids to learn important life lessons from hockey, including teamwork, leadership and personal responsibility, through an interactive exhibit.
· IBM/NHL Goal Gallery will feature an opportunity for fans to hone their skills and test their shooting accuracy.
· NHL Play-off Pursuit will set the stage for fans to compete in stick handling, puck control, speed, and accuracy.
· Fans interested in free in-line skate trials can enter the Bauer Demo Zone.
· Fans can test their stick handling, sniper accuracy and break-away speed at the POWERaDE/NHL Street Hockey Games, a fun-filled, interactive hockey activity center.
· Fans will measure the speed of their slap shots against the NHL pros at The New Dodge/NHL SlapshotTM, a special radar gun-equipped slap shot cage.
· Try your hand at goaltending. Step into the NHL Between the PipesTM, where fans experience what it's like to be a NHL goalie as they suit up in net.
In keeping with the League's fundraising efforts to benefit local and national cancer-related charities in the United States and Canada, a portion of NHL BREAKOUT merchandise proceeds will be donated to Hockey Fights Cancer, a joint initiative between the NHL and the National Hockey League Players' Association.
Tour presenting sponsors include Bauer, IBM, The New Dodge and POWERaDE.
Tour supporting partners include Hyper Wheels and ZEPHYR GRAF-X as well as USA Hockey InLine, who for the fifth year will partner with the NHL by providing their expertise in officiating and educational programs. All games are played with the Z-Ball from Sun Hockey, the official NHL BREAKOUT '99 tournament ball. Admission for activities other than organized tournament play ($160.00/team entry fee) is FREE. Team registration is conducted in each city through local NHL offices. The NHL BREAKOUT '99 Carolina Hurricanes information hotline is (919) 467-7825, ext. 360. For general tour information, interested parties can call the NHL BREAKOUT '99 hotline at (972) 392-5740. Or, skate www.nhlbreakout.com, the official Web site of NHL BREAKOUT '99.
For season ticket information, call the Carolina Hurricanes at (919) 467-7825. Visit the official website of the Carolina Hurricanes at www.caneshockey.com