On the morning after the Stanley Cup was awarded to officially draw the curtain on the 2016-17 NHL season, Jaccob Slavin entered the Carolina Hurricanes' locker room.
Awaiting him was his gear, a photo shoot set-up, a small gaggle of marketing folks and, the star of the morning, the Hurricanes' new Adidas home uniform. The redesigned sweater hung in his stall, and newly-designed gloves and socks were laid out nearby.
After many months of reviewing and tweaking internal concepts while maintaining an open dialogue with Adidas and the NHL, a full uniform set was finally in-hand. Slavin would be the first Canes player to see and try on the new threads.
"I like them. I think they're pretty slick. I think the black adds a lot," he said. "They're a little different, but kind of what the team used to wear. I like the warning symbols on it."
Slavin hit the highlights, but here's a complete breakdown of five noteworthy elements found on the Hurricanes' new home red Adidas uniform.
- Collar & Laces: The new Adidas collar design features a split red and black color combination. The NHL shield is prominently displayed at the collar's base, and white laces, introduced in 2013, return in the newest iteration of the Canes' home jerseys.
- Black Stripes: More black has been incorporated into the jersey design, with the addition of black stripes above and below the existing white stripes on the sleeve and waistline.
- Warning Flags & Secondary Red: In conjunction with the Canes' 20th Anniversary season, the warning flag pattern returns as a modern take on the team's original sweaters. The sublimated tone-on-tone pattern also introduces a secondary red.
- New Gloves: The addition of black continues in the gloves, which are transitioning from all red to red with black accents.
- New Socks: Black has been re-introduced in a new sock design, which features the same black and white striping pattern as seen on the jerseys.
Video: Hurricanes unveil new uniforms for 2017-18
In addition to new design elements on the Hurricanes' uniform, there is also new technology to be found in these kits, dubbed ADIZERO by Adidas.
- Lighter: Featuring new cresting materials and construction technology, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey reduces crest weight by up to 46%.
- Cooler: The ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey features Adidas Clima® technology in each of the jersey fabrics to deliver breathability and enhanced performance. Combining moisture management technology and a streamlined silhouette to maximize air flow circulation with materials that are up to 133% more permeable than fabrics currently used on ice allows athletes to be cooler.
- Stronger: Constructed for durability, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey fabrics are up to 27% stronger in burst testing and up to 72% tougher in abrasion testing compared to the current NHL jersey.
More information on the latest iteration in Hurricanes' uniforms can be found here. The Canes will unveil their road white Adidas uniforms at the Draft Party on Friday night. Both jerseys are available for preorder today and will be available for purchase at The Eye beginning in September.
"They're pretty sweet," Slavin said of the new red threads. "With the Cup being hoisted last night, it definitely gets me excited for the season to start. I'm definitely excited to put those on next year."