This year we have nine live auction items and just about 90 silent auction items. Of those 90 silent auction items, 21 are baskets of the players' “favorite things.” There is also a coaches' basket and, for the second consecutive year, the equipment managers have inserted a basket.
Last year’s basket submitted by the equipment managers was awesome. It featured some unique items like an Arturs Irbe mask, a Cam Ward cage and a Sidney Crosby autographed puck. Bob Gorman brought me the contents of his basket before this road trip and the guys have really outdone themselves. These things are so cool that I felt like I needed to share.
Their basket features the following:
- Eric Staal’s game-worn 2009 All-Star game helmet. Eric wore four jerseys during the game, but only one helmet…and we have it.
- Alexander Ovechkin used and autographed game stick (you should see the curve on the blade…amazing. Pictured below)
- A sub-package they have deemed “Staal in the Family” which features the autographed game sticks of all three NHL Staal brothers; Eric, Marc (#18 Rangers) and Jordan (#11 Penguins). All three are left-handed and seem to have very similar curves, though all are different Bauer models.
- Sidney Crosby practice worn and autographed Penguins practice jersey
- Ilya Kolvachuk used and autographed game stick (arriving Friday)
- Wayne Gretzky autographed Coyotes game puck
- Evgeni Malkin autographed Penguins game puck
- Alexander Ovechkin autographed Capitals game puck
- Ilya Kolvachuk autographed Thrashers game puck
If I was told I could have only one of the items above, I am not sure which I would choose as it is truly a hockey collector’s dream basket.
For hockey lovers, there are obviously a lot of other great items like Eric Staal’s jersey from the Glen Wesley retirement ceremony and a 2004 NHL Draft magazine that is signed by Ovechkin and Staal (cover features both). One of the hockey items that I think is pretty unique is a Rod Brind’Amour Michigan State package we put together. It features an authentic Michigan State #21 jersey, Rod’s collegiate number, and the 1989 NCAA Tournament magazine that highlights Rod and Michigan State. Brind’Amour obviously signed both.
We also have some fun packages that appeal to anyone, like a Hilton Head getaway package that has a two-night stay at the Westin, a round of golf for four at Robert Trent Jones, a spa package at the Westin and a certificate for dinner at Alexander’s in Hilton Head. With this package, you can purchase a great long weekend vacation AND it is a tax write-off.
There are going to be things from cosmetic surgery to barbeque and everything in between. We have things for fans of UNC, Duke, State, NASCAR and even the Cowboys (which is tough for me being a long-time Skins fan). We have golf packages from Pinehurst to Croasdale, dinners from the Captain’s Table in the wine cellar at Angus Barn to dinner with our captains at Nina’s (live auction). It is definitely shaping up to be a fun night and we still have some tickets available. You can purchase them by calling 861-5474 or through Ticketmaster.