I don’t know about the rest of you, but it is hard for me to believe that Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away. Not to mention, have any of you been to Crabtree or Cameron Village and seen the ornaments, wreaths and other holiday decorations? I even saw Santa’s house being built the other day. Suffice it to say, the end of 2010 is quickly approaching, and our hockey season is picking up speed. However, the year’s not over yet, and there are plenty of things to be excited about before the New Year.
Kids ‘N Community Foundation Night
On Nov. 6, the Carolina Hurricanes hosted Kids ‘N Community Foundation night during the game against the Panthers. Here are some highlights:
- The night started out with the first 10,000 fans that arrived to the game receiving the brand new 2009-10 Kids ‘N Community Foundation Annual Report, 20 of which had a special certificate to trade in that copy for an autographed copy!
- Two of our fall 2010 grant recipients, Triangle Special Hockey Association and Girls on the Run of the Triangle, promoted their outreach efforts on the concourse during the game.
- Long-time Foundation supporters, the Carolina Ale House, presented last season (2009-10) Points for Kids $10,000 check to Executive Director Doug Warf during the intermission.
- Kids ‘N Community Foundation Board Members Harvey Schmitt and Billie Redmond distributed a total of $234,871 in cash grant checks to the 27 different children’s charities and foundations during an intermission presentation on the Hurricanes home bench.
- Visit the Kids ‘N Community Foundation website to see a full list of recent grant recipients, find ways to be involved, or stay up to date on upcoming events.
Holiday Mystery Puck Fundraisers
Thanks to everyone who participated in the first of our series of game-night fundraisers. The 300 Halloween pucks sold out before 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 30. Funds raised will support the health, education and underserved population development of children in our community. Below are the dates for the upcoming Kids ‘N Community Foundation game night fundraisers. Mark your calendars!
- Thanksgiving puck: Nov. 24
- Holiday Puck: Dec. 18
- New Year’s Day Puck: Jan. 1
- Valentine’s Day T-Shirt Fundraiser: Feb. 5
- St. Patrick’s Day: March 16
There are plenty of ways to give back this holiday season, and the Hurricanes are offering up a couple of ways. The Harris Teeter food drive is still underway. Fans who bring in at least two canned goods will receive a BOGO ticket voucher for the game on Wednesday, Nov. 17. The offer is good until puck drop on the 17th. Collected food will be donated to the Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC and Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
The toy drive starts on Nov. 29 and runs through game time on Dec. 3. Again, fans who bring a new, unwrapped toy prior to the game time on the 3rd will receive a BOGO ticket voucher for the game against Colorado. Donated toys will be donated to Wake County Human Services, Interact of Wake County, Helping Hand Mission, and Toys for Tots to support their respective holiday toy programs.
In the spirit of the season and because we can never say it enough, thanks to everyone who participates in our fundraisers and community outreach efforts. We try and offer unique and interactive ways to give back to the community, and we invite you to be part of these efforts. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of children and their families in our community