The 14th Annual Skate with the Canes fundraiser for the Kids ‘N Community Foundation was held on Feb. 5, 2012. The event sold out and raised close to $40,000 for the Kids ‘N Community Foundation.
The event is broken up into three sessions: autographs, photos and skating. The entire roster was split up into three groups red, blue and green. The patrons at the event rotated opposite of the players to ensure that each patron would meet every player at the event.Highlights of the event:
- The entire Hurricanes roster was in attendance at the event besides Joni Pitkanen, who is recovering from an injury.
- A little girl skated around the RBC Center ice hand-in-hand with Riley Nash.
- Our Youth & Amateur Hockey Coordinator, Shane Willis, led drills on the ice for the skaters. Jamie McBain took time to teach kids some basic hockey skills during his session on the ice.
- John Forslund and Tripp Tracy took time out of their busy schedules to be an exciting addition to the event. Patrons were able to take their picture with the two broadcasters during the autograph session. Fans also got a chance to take their picture with the famous warning siren.
- I talked with four teenage girls whose smiles and continuous giggling displayed their excitement to meet Jeff Skinner and Brandon Sutter.
- Stormy and the Eye Care Associates Storm Squad spent time with all of the patrons and brought a smile to everyone’s face.
- Patrons were able to buy collectible sports memorabilia on the concourse and a portion of the proceeds was donated back to the Kids ‘N Community Foundation.
- Each patron that attended the event received a limited edition poster, Kids ‘N Community mug with a branded hot chocolate packet, food and beverage and the unique opportunity to meet the entire Carolina Hurricanes team.
- Over 20 staff members from the Carolina Hurricanes and RBC Center took time out of their busy schedules to volunteer at the event. This event would not be possible without the help from our dedicated staff.
, defenseman for the Hurricanes, described the event perfectly.
“I think everyone wins at Skate with the Canes," he said. "It’s a great day! You get to see the season ticket holders face-to-face and meet some friendly fans, our biggest supporters. They are our foundation and keep us going out there, and it’s a great support. So it’s nice to get out there and get in touch with them”.
Thank you to the Carolina Hurricanes players, John Forslund, Tripp Tracy, volunteers and, most importantly, all of the Caniacs who attended the event. All of the funds raised will help fulfill grant requests for deserving non-profit children’s charities in our surrounding area this year.
Check out our Kids ‘N Community Foundation microsite
for more information on upcoming events.