The 13th Annual Skate with the Canes fundraiser for the Kids ‘N Community Foundation was held on Dec. 30, 2010. The event sold out and raised $37,102 for the Kids ‘N Community Foundation. Click here for the photo gallery
The event is broken up into three sessions: autographs, photos, and skating. The entire roster was split up into three groups: red, blue, or green. The patrons at the event rotated opposite of the players to ensure that each patron would meet every player at the event.
Highlights of the Event:
- The entire Hurricanes roster was in attendance at the event besides Joni Pitkanen, who is recovering from an injury, to help with one of the biggest fundraisers for the Kids ‘N Community Foundation.
- An eager little boy rushing onto the ice to skate into Erik Cole’s open arms.
- Talking with a parent at the autograph session about her decision to surprise her two boys with tickets to the event for Christmas. The smiles on their faces displayed the excitement about meeting their idols.
- Tripp Tracy and John Forslund taking time out of their busy schedules to be an exciting addition to the event. Patrons were able to take their picture with the two broadcasters during the autograph session.
- The winner of the 50/50 raffle was a little girl. She won $670, but decided to donate her winning portion back to the Kids ‘N Community Foundation. A selfless decision made by a young Hurricanes fan.
- Fans were able to practice their hockey skills at the slap shot booth and kids were able to expel their excessive energy in the moon bounce on the concourse.
- A young fan was able to sit between our captain, Eric Staal, and one of the top rookies in the NHL, Jeff Skinner, during the locker room photo session.
- Patrons were able to buy collectible sports memorabilia on the concourse and a portion of the proceeds was donated back to the Kids ‘N Community Foundation.
- Each patron that attended the event received a limited edition poster, Kids ‘N Community water bottle, food and beverage, and the unique opportunity to meet the entire Carolina Hurricanes team.
- Over 20 staff members from the Carolina Hurricanes/RBC Center took time out of their busy schedules to volunteer at the event. This event would not be possible without the help from our dedicated staff.
Thank you to the Carolina Hurricanes players, John Forslund, Tripp Tracy, volunteers, and most importantly, all of the Caniacs who attended the event. The support from the Carolina Hurricanes community is overwhelming. All of the funds raised will help fulfill grant requests for deserving non-profit children’s charities in our surrounding area this year.
Check out our Kids ‘N Community Foundation website for more information on upcoming events.