On Saturday, February 1, 700 Kids ‘N Community Foundation supporters, including Carolina Hurricanes players, coaches, broadcasters, front office executives and fans, gathered on the arena floor for the Queen of Hearts Masquerade at the 9th Annual Casino Night and Wine Tasting presented by PNC.
|Gabby Pinto |
Guests were greeted by the Queen of Hearts herself in a green archway that provided a perfect photo opportunity to start off the evening. Red and black masks were available throughout the night for folks to take part in the theme, but it was exciting to see the unique and beautiful masks that guests brought from home.
The night was filled with competitive casino games with the players, music provided by DJ Mike Biddle, delicious food – including a roasted pig decorated with a puck in its mouth and a fresh donut bar – a silent auction filled with over 100 items, a photo booth and an exciting live auction! It was truly a night to remember as members of our community gathered to have a good time while raising money for an incredible cause.
This year’s event broke our fundraising record for Casino Night. With the help of each person that attended, we were able to raise over $280,000 for the Kids ‘N Community Foundation. This month, the money raised will be given back to our community. Through our Game Changer Grant cycle, we will donate $150,000 to 15 different non-profit children’s organizations in North Carolina.
Highlights of the evening included:
- Two “Cook with the Canes” cooking classes with Jeff Skinner and Elias Lindholm that raised $38,000
- The featured Hurricanes player baskets raised $52,904; Eric Staal’s basket included a private 30-minute skate after practice one day
- Remembering Dickie Britt and continuing his legacy with a $25,000 donation from the Britt family to start off the live auction
- Cheers from the casino tables when the players were dealing throughout the night
- Ron Hainsey giving Anton Khudobin a hard time for the way he was dealing at one of the poker tables
- A couple who made their masks for the night featuring the Hurricanes logo
- The Shutterbooth photo booth that ensured every guest went home with a keepsake
- Rare Hurricanes memorabilia
- The Masked Wines fundraiser, which included wines valued up to $300 and some signed by Ron Francis and the 2013-14 team
- A chance to win instant gift cards or a $3,000 diamond piece at the Drop for Diamonds, presented by Diamonds Direct Crabtree
- A special mystery card deck fundraiser presented by TriSure
Guests enjoyed a wine tasting provided by Empire Distributors and Total Wine and More and an incredible beer selection from Natty Greene’s, RA Jeffreys, Long Beverage, Foothills Brewing and Mims Distributing. Our catering department also came up with a fun signature drink called the “Crimson Crush.”
The success of the event would not have been possible without the support of PNC as our title sponsor. PNC is a wonderful partner and is making a huge impact in the North Carolina community.
Thank you to each guest that attended, all of our event sponsors, every business that donated an item for our silent auction and all of the Carolina Hurricanes players, coaches and staff for making the 2014 Casino Night a night to remember!
For more information on the Kids ‘N Community Foundation, please visit our microsite.