“Susan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul.” Reading that sentence gave me a chill and humbled me as I was reading about the heart and mission of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It continued, “Throughout her diagnosis, treatments and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her situation.” Who wouldn’t be proud to be a part of the fight that this woman started?
|Gabby Pinto |
On Saturday, June 8, the Carolina Hurricanes are once again teaming up to participate in the 2013 Susan G. Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure. Last year, 68 Caniacs participated in the fight against breast cancer, raising over $8,100 to help fund research to end the disease and support those who are currently battling it. We hope that you will help us continue to support this cause!
This year, all participants who come to the race will receive a newly-designed “Canes for a Cause” t-shirt. This will help our team stand out in Hurricanes red on race day. Also, members from the Eye Care Associates Storm Squad will be your captains! They will walk, mingle and lead the team during the recreational 5K.
If you join our team before May 15, you will be entered for a chance to win an autographed, 8x10 photo of captain Eric Staal.
To sign up for Canes for a Cure, please visit this page and click on “Join Canes for a Cure.”
We look forward to seeing you all on June 8 as we fight with our hearts, bodies and souls to find a cure.
Please see below for more information regarding the event:
- 7:00 a.m. – Competitive Open 5K (co-ed)
- 7:45 a.m. – Women's Only 5K
- 8:30 a.m. – Recreational Open 5K Run/Walk (co-ed)
- 9:30 a.m. – One Mile (co-ed, new this year): Start and finish on Hillsborough Street
- 10:00 a.m. – Kids Dash (ages 3-5)
- There will also be a Food Truck Rodeo at this year’s race
Please see the website for additional details.
How to Help:
1) Join the Canes for a Cure team to participate in the race on June 8.
2) If you are unable to participate, consider donating to our team.
3) Our team is open to the public, so invite your friends and family to join. We want this to be a fun day as we give back to the community.