VEGAS (June 26, 2019) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager George McPhee announced today, June 26, the following roster transaction: the team has acquired forward Nicolas Roy and a conditional fifth round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Vegas Golden Knights forward Erik Haula .
The 22-year-old Roy has appeared in a total of seven NHL games - all with the Hurricanes - and has recorded two penalty minutes. Last season with the American Hockey League's Charlotte Checkers, he finished with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games and ranked third on the team with five game-winning goals. He also appeared in 19 Calder Cup playoff games for the Checkers and helped lead the team to a Calder Cup championship. Roy finished tied for third on the team in playoff scoring with 15 points (6 G, 9 A) to go with 14 penalty minutes. In two seasons in the AHL, he amassed 74 points (28 G, 46 A) to go with 65 penalty minutes in 139 games.
The native of Amos, Quebec was selected by Carolina in the fourth round (96th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.
Over the course of two seasons with the Golden Knights, Haula appeared in 91 games after being selected by the team during the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft from the Minnesota Wild.
Nicolas Roy, Forward
Birthplace: Amos, QC, Canada
Weight: 215 lbs.
Draft: Selected by Carolina Hurricanes in the fourth round (96th overall) in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft
- Finished the 2018-19 season with the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games
- Appeared in six games with the Carolina Hurricanes during the 2018-19 season
- Helped lead the Checkers to a Calder Cup championship in 2019, finishing with 15 points (6 G, 9 A) to go with 14 penalty minutes in 19 games, which tied for third on the team in scoring
- Led the Checkers in the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs in short-handed goals with two
- Collected 38 points (11 G, 27 A) in 70 games for the Checkers in 2017-18 season
TRANSACTION: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Nicolas Roy and a conditional fifth round draft pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Vegas Golden Knights forward Erik Haula .
ABOUT THE VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
The Vegas Golden Knights are a National Hockey League franchise owned and operated by Black Knight Sports and Entertainment LLC. The Vegas Golden Knights were established by founding partners William Foley and his family and the Maloof family. For the latest news and information on the Golden Knights visit vegasgoldenknights.com. Fans can follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.