VEGAS (February 1, 2020) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon announced today, February 1, the following roster transactions: the team has assigned forward Nicolas Roy and defenseman Zach Whitecloud to the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves.
Roy made his Golden Knights debut against Anaheim on October 27 and scored the first goal of his NHL career. He has appeared in 16 games with Vegas this season and has tallied six points (2 G, 3 A) to go with eight penalty minutes. This season with the Wolves, he has appeared in 26 games and has recorded 21 points (7 G, 14 A) to go with 10 penalty minutes. Last season with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers, Roy finished with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games and ranked third on the team with five game-winning goals. He also appeared in 19 Calder Cup playoff games for the Checkers and helped lead the team to a Calder Cup championship. The native of Amos, Quebec was acquired by the Golden Knights along with a conditional fifth round draft pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft from Carolina in exchange for forward Erik Haula.
Whitecloud, who appeared in his first NHL game of the season against Nashville, has played in 35 games for the Wolves this season and has recorded seven points (2 G, 5 A) to go with 16 penalty minutes. Last season with Chicago, the Brandon, Manitoba native recorded 28 points (6 G, 22 A) to go with 52 penalty minutes in 74 regular-season games. During the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs, Whitecloud recorded 15 points (3 G, 12 A) to go with 15 penalty minutes in 22 playoff games. He made his NHL debut with the Golden Knights at the Edmonton Oilers on April 5, 2018. Whitecloud signed with the Golden Knights on March 8, 2018 after finishing his collegiate career with Bemidji State University.
Nicolas Roy, Forward
Birthplace: Amos, QC, Canada
Weight: 200 lbs.
Draft: Selected by Carolina Hurricanes in the fourth round (96th overall) in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft
- Has recorded six points (2 G, 3 A) to go with eight penalty minutes in 16 games with Golden Knights this season
- Made Golden Knights debut against Anaheim (Oct. 27) and scored his first career NHL goal
- Has appeared in 26 games for the Chicago Wolves this season and has recorded 17 points (7 G, 14 A) to go with 10 penalty minutes
- Finished the 2018-19 season with the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games
- Appeared in six games with the Carolina Hurricanes during the 2018-19 season
- Helped lead the Checkers to a Calder Cup championship in 2019, finishing with 15 points (6 G, 9 A) to go with 14 penalty minutes in 19 games, which tied for third on the team in scoring
- Led the Checkers in the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs in short-handed goals with two
Zach Whitecloud, Defenseman
Hometown: Brandon, Manitoba
Weight: 209 lbs.
- Has recorded seven points (2 G, 5 A) to go with 16 penalty minutes in 35 games this season with the AHL's Chicago Wolves
- Helped lead Chicago to the Calder Cup Final during the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs and finished with 15 points (3 G, 12 A) to go with 11 penalty minutes
- Appeared in 74 games for the Wolves during the 2018-19 season and finished with 28 points (6 G, 28 A) to go with 52 penalty minutes
- Made NHL debut at the Edmonton Oilers on April 5, 2018
- Signed with the Vegas Golden Knights after finishing collegiate career on March 8, 2018
- Appeared in 36 games for Bemidji State during the 2017-18 season and recorded 18 points (4 G, 14 A).
- Had one assist in two games for Team Canada in the 2017 Karjala Cup
ABOUT THE VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
The Vegas Golden Knights are a National Hockey League franchise owned and operated by Black Knight Sports and Entertainment LLC. The Vegas Golden Knights were established by founding partners William Foley and his family and the Maloof family. For the latest news and information on the Golden Knights visit vegasgoldenknights.com. Fans can follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.