VEGAS (July 23, 2019) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager George McPhee announced today, July 23, the following roster transactions: the team has signed defenseman Deryk Engelland to a one-year contract through the 2019-20 season and the team has acquired goaltender Garret Sparks from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Vegas Golden Knights forward David Clarkson and a fourth-round selection in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.
Engelland's contract has a base salary of $700,000 and incentives that could total up to an average annual value of $1,500,000.
Engelland, 37, appeared in 74 games for the Golden Knights during the 2018-19 season and finished with 12 points (2 G, 12 A) to go with 18 penalty minutes. He set career-marks with 152 blocked shots, 165 hits and 26 takeaways. In two seasons with Vegas, Engelland has recorded 35 points (7 G, 28 A) to go with 42 PIM in 153 total games. He has been named the Vegas Strong Service Award winner in back-to-back seasons for his outstanding work in the Las Vegas community and was also named the Mark Messier Leadership Award winner at the 2018 NHL Awards.
The Edmonton, Alberta native was selected by the Golden Knights during the 2017 Expansion Draft from the Calgary Flames.
The 26-year-old Sparks has appeared in a total of 37 NHL games - all with Toronto - and has posted a 14-18-2 overall record to go with a 3.09 goals-against average and a 0.898 save percentage. He started 17 games during the 2018-19 season with the Maple Leafs and posted a record of 8-9-1 with a 3.15 GAA and 0.902 save percentage.
Sparks was named the winner of the Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award as the AHL's outstanding goaltender for the 2017-18 season after posting a 1.79 GAA and .936 save percentage to go with a 31-9-2 record. He backstopped the Toronto Marlies to a 2018 Calder Cup championship after posting a 14-5 record to go with a 2.22 GAA and 0.915 save percentage.
The native of Elmhurst, Illinois was selected by Toronto in the seventh round (190th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Clarkson was acquired in a trade by the Golden Knights, along with a first-round draft pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft and a second-round draft pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, from the Columbus Blue Jackets during the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft after the team selected forward William Karlsson .
Deryk Engelland, Defensemen
Birthplace: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Weight: 214 lbs.
Draft: Selected by New Jersey Devils in the sixth round (194th overall) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft
- Appeared in 74 games with Vegas in the 2018-19 season tallying 12 points (2 G, 10 A) to go with 18 PIMs
- Recorded career-highs in hits (165), takeaways (26) and blocked shots (152) during 2018-19 season
- Was named the Vegas Strong Service Award winner in back-to-back seasons for his outstanding work in the Las Vegas community
- Has appeared in 153 games in a Golden Knights sweater, recording 35 points (7 G, 28 A) to go with 42 PIMs
- Played for the ECHL's Las Vegas Wranglers for two seasons
- Awarded the Mark Messier Leadership Award at the 2018 NHL Awards
Garret Sparks, Goaltender
Birthplace: Elmhurst, IL
Weight: 201 lbs.
Draft: Selected by Toronto Maple Leafs in the seventh round (190th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft
- Started 17 games with the Maple Leafs posting a record of 8-9-1 with a 3.15 goals-against average and .902 save percentage during the 2018-19 season
- Has appeared in a total of 37 games in his NHL career, all with Toronto
- Collected first shutout against the Edmonton Oilers in NHL debut during the 2015-16 season
- Named the winner of the Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award, given to the AHL's most outstanding goaltender, for the 2017-18 season after posting a 1.79 GAA and .936 save percentage to go with a 31-9-2 record
- Won the 2018 Calder Cup with the Toronto Marlies, posting a 2.22 GAA in 19 playoff games
TRANSACTION: Vegas Golden Knights sign defenseman Deryk Engelland to a one-year contract through the 2019-20 season and acquire goaltender Garret Sparks from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Vegas Golden Knights forward David Clarkson and a fourth-round selection in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.
ABOUT THE VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
The Vegas Golden Knights are a National Hockey League franchise owned and operated by Black Knight Sports and Entertainment LLC. The Vegas Golden Knights were established by founding partners William Foley and his family and the Maloof family. For the latest news and information on the Golden Knights visit vegasgoldenknights.com. Fans can follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.