VEGAS (February 19, 2020) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon announced today, February 19, the following roster transactions: the team has acquired defenseman Alec Martinez from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a Vegas Golden Knights 2020 Second Round draft pick and a 2021 Second Round draft pick (originally belonging to St. Louis) and the team has recalled forward Nicolas Roy and defensemen Zach Whitecloud and Jimmy Schuldt.
The 32-year-old Martinez is a veteran of 597 NHL games - all with the Kings - and has tallied 62 goals and 136 assists for 198 points to go with 185 penalty minutes in his NHL career. He has also appeared in 64 playoff games for Los Angeles, helping the Kings capture two Stanley Cups in 2012 and 2014. He has recorded 15 points (6 G, 10 A) to go with 30 penalty minutes in those postseason contests. This season, Martinez has posted eight points (1 G, 7 A) to go with 17 penalty minutes in 41 games.
The native of Rochester Hills, Michigan has also made two appearances (2018, 2019) with Team USA at the IIHF World Championships. In 2018, Martinez recorded three points (1 G, 2 A) in 10 games to help lead Team USA to a bronze medal.
Martinez was selected by the Los Angeles Kings in the Fourth Round (97th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Alec Martinez, Defenseman
Hometown: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Weight: 209 lbs.
Draft: Selected by the Los Angeles Kings in the Fourth Round (97th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft
- Has appeared in 597 NHL games and has tallied 198 points (62 G, 136 A) to go with 185 penalty minutes in parts of 11 seasons with the Los Angeles Kings
- Helped lead Los Angeles to two Stanley Cups (2012, 2014) and has appeared in 64 playoff games, recording 16 points (6 G, 10 A) to go with 30 penalty minutes
- Scored two series clinching overtime goals during the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs, in overtime of Game 7 during the Western Conference Final against the Chicago Blackhawks and in double overtime of Game 5 during the Stanley Cup Final against the New York Rangers
- Played three seasons with current Golden Knights defenseman Brayden McNabb (2014-17)
- Represented Team USA at the 2018 and 2019 IIHF World Championships, winning a bronze medal in 2018
- Spent three years at Miami University, recording 67 points (21 G, 46 A) to go with 113 penalty minutes in 123 games and earned Second Team All-America honors following the 2007-08 season
in 123 games and earned Second Team All-America honors following the 2007-08 season
ABOUT THE VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
The Vegas Golden Knights are a National Hockey League franchise owned and operated by Black Knight Sports and Entertainment LLC. The Vegas Golden Knights were established by founding partners William Foley and his family and the Maloof family. For the latest news and information on the Golden Knights visit vegasgoldenknights.com. Fans can follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.