Over the course of his Flyers Hall of Fame career, Rick MacLeish collected 12 hat tricks; 15 including the playoffs. Until Tim Kerr came around, MacLeish held the franchise career record for three-goal games.
The final hat trick of MacLeish's career came on November 6, 1980, as the Flyers pummeled the LA Kings, 8-2 at the Spectrum. Bill Barber scored twice in the same game, while Paul Holmgren, Tom "T.J." Gorence and a rookie Kerr (scoring the third goal of his NHL career) tallied once apiece.
Kerr would go on to notch 17 regular season hat tricks as a Flyer, plus three more in the playoffs.
November 6: Through the Years
- 1977: A 28-save performance by Bernie Parent and second period outburst enable the Flyers to overcome a sluggish start in a 3-2 home win over the Vancouver Canucks. Bobby Clarke, Orest Kindrachuk and Bob Kelly provide the goals.
- 1985: With backup goaltender Bob Froese (35 saves, including 18 in the first period) in goal, the Flyers overcome a horrendous opening 20 minutes and a 2-1 deficit to skate off with a 5-2 win over the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden. Brian Propp and Peter Zezel score twice apiece, while rookie Pelle Eklund scores a power play marker for his second career NHL goal. The victory is the Flyers' eighth in a row and improves the defending Wales Conference Champions' season record to an NHL-best 10-2-0.
- 1993: The Flyers top line of Mark Recchi (one goal, one assist), Eric Lindros (one goal, one assist) and Mikael Renberg (one assist) strike twice and second line once as Josef Beranek continues his torrid early season with his 12th goal of the young season. Unfortunately, the goaltending and team defense struggle as the Flyers fall 5-3 on the road to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- 1997: John LeClair has a monster game, tallying his 14th and 15th goals of the young season and assisting on tallies by Petr Svoboda and Chris Gratton (second goal as a Flyer). The Flyers crush the visiting Edmonon Oilers, 6-2. Dainius Zubrus also collects a goal and an assist.
- 2009: Chris Pronger (one goal, one assist) and several unexpected sources of offense lead the way in a 5-2 road win over the Buffalo Sabres. Dan Carcillo scores twice, Ian Laperriere collects two assists and Darrol Powe also nets a goal. Rookie left winger James van Riemsdyk scores the third goal of his young NHL career and runs his point streak to four consecutive games and 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in his last eight games.
- 2014: The Flyers avenge a 2-1 road loss against an injury-decimated Florida Panthers club a week earlier with a 4-1 win in a rematch at the Wells Fargo Center. A pair of early goals generated by Brayden Schenn (two assists) spark the Flyers to a quick 2-0 lead on a deflection goal by Sean Couturier and a pinch-in by Michael Del Zotto. The Flyers extend the lead to 3-0 early in the second period on a Pierre-Edouard Bellemare. Thirty-nine seconds after Nick Bjugstad's power play rebound goal cuts the Flyers' lead to 3-1, Jakub Voracek finishes off a two-on-one rush off a feed from Claude Giroux to restore the three-goal cushion. Steve Mason plays well in net, making 34 saves on 35 shots to earn the win.
November 6: Flyers Birthday
- Defenseman Darryl Edestrand was born Nov. 6, 1945 in Strathroy, Ontario.