Flyers captain Eric Lindros missed seven games with a knee injury in November, 1995: the result of a low-bridge hit by Florida Panthers' defenseman Jason Woolley. In Lindros' absence, Flyers head coach Terry Murray substituted Anatoli Semenov.
On the night of November 5, 1995, it was the "Mikael Renberg Show" at the Spectrum in a 6-1 rout of the Hartford Whalers. The Legion of Doom right winger scored his ninth and10th goals of the season -- including a perfectly placed water-bottle flipper on a blast from the right circle -- and later sets up linemate John LeClair for his 10th goal of the season.
The Flyers also got goal support for Garth Snow (21 saves) from fourth-line center Craig MacTavish, third-line right winger Rob DMaio and callup forward Russ Romaniuk.
November 5: Through the Years
- 1967: One night after stunning the Montreal Canadiens at the Forum, the Flyers rematch with the Habs at the Spectrum. In a battle of Hall of Fame goalies, Bernie Parent (30 saves on 31 shots) and Lorne "Gump" Worsley (22 saves on 23 shots) duel to a 1-1 deadlock. Ed Hoekstra scores the lone Philadelphia goal. Yvon Cournoyer notches the only Montreal score.
- 2002: Second period goals by Justin Williams and former Flyers center Rod Brind'Amour send Philadelphia and the host Carolina Hurricanes to a 1-1 tie through regulation. In overtime, John LeClair wins the game for the Flyers with his eighth goal of the season. Roman Cechmanek stops 17 of 18 shots to earn the win.
- 2005: Simon Gagne records his second career hat trick and linemate Peter Forsberg collects a goal and two assists to supply all the offense for Philadelphia in a 4-3 home win over the Atlanta Thrashers. On the same night, the team welcomed Bill Logan of Langhorne, PA as the 25 millionth fan to attend a Flyers home game. Logan was showered with confetti and personally greeted by Ed Snider. Later, he was a guest of host Steve Coates on CSN Philadelphia's "Coatsey's Corner" segment during intermission. Additionally, Logan was given a team-signed jersey, a Lacman watch valued at just under $1,000, a large flat-screen television, round- trip airfare from Southwest Airlines, accommodations for an eight-day, seven night stay in Florida which included passes to Universal Orlando and SeaWorld, catered balcony suite for a future Flyers game, the chance to meet all the players in the Flyers locker room after the game, a limousine ride and dinner for four in Victors Club for a future Flyers game, and a guest pass to attend Flyers head Coach Ken Hitchcock's postgame press conference at a future game.
- 2011: The host Flyers humiliate the struggling Columbus Blue Jackets by a 9-2 score. The game is 5-0 by the end of the first period and 8-0 by the second intermission. Jakub Voracek (one goal, one assist) enjoys a multi-point game against his former club and rookie Sean Couturier scores a pair of goals. Seven different Flyers tally. Future Flyers netminder Steve Mason gets strafed for seven of the nine goals, but most were the direct product of poor play in front of him.
November 5: Flyers Birthdays
- The Flyers' first-round draft pick in 1976, defenseman Mark Suzor was born November 5, 1956 in Windsor, Ontario.
- Offensively talented forward Nikolay Zherdev was born November 5, 1984 in Kiev, USSR (now Ukraine).