On November 27, 1977, the Philadelphia Flyers earned a 2-0 win at the Spectrum over the Los Angeles Kings. Wayne Stephenson recorded a 17-save shutout, while Mel Bridgman and Ross Lonsberry scored the goals.
On the same night, defenseman Joe Watson played his 700th game as a Flyer. In 11 seasons with the Flyers (1967-68 through 1977-78), Watson recorded 36 goals and 162 assists for 198 points and 397 penalty minutes in 746 regular season games.
Today, Watson's games played total stands second in Flyers' franchise history, surpassed only by Chris Therien's 753 regular season games as a Flyer. Andre "Moose" Dupont holds the franchise record for playoff games played by a defenseman, with 108. Jim Watson, Joe's younger brother, is second with 101.
Joe Watson was inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame on Feb. 22, 1996. Jim Watson was inducted on February 29, 2016.
November 27: Through the Years
- 1974: Flyers Hall of Fame right winger Reggie Leach scores the first hat trick of his Flyers career in a 6-2 home win over the Detroit Red Wings. The goals were the 7th, 8th and 9th he would score on the way to a 45-goal season in his first season for Philadelphia. The "Riverton Rifle" would go on to notch eight hat tricks (combined regular season and playoff) in his Flyers career.
- 1982: Pelle Lindbergh notches his first career NHL shutout, making 22 saves in a 4-0 road win over the Los Angeles Kings. Mark Howe, Lindsay Carson, Ron Flockhart and Ray Allison score the goals.
- 1993: Rookie forward Mikael Renberg's pair of third period goals key a Flyers comeback in a 4-3 overtime win on the road against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Kevin Dineen scores at 34 seconds of overtime to end the game. Josef Beranek scores in the first period to give the Flyers an early lead. Dominic Roussel (30 saves) earns the win in goal.
- 1998: Eric Lindros notches a goal and two assists to lead the Flyers to a 4-3 home win against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Keith Jones, Rod Brind'Amour and John LeClair also tally goals for the Flyers. John Vanbiesbrouck (19 saves) earns the win in a clash with Curtis Joseph.
- 2015: Rookie Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere's power play goal at 4:08 of overtime lifts the team to a 4-3 win over Peter Laviolette's Nashville Predators in a Black Friday matinee at the Wells Fargo Center.