Building a three-game winning streak, the Philadelphia Flyers broke loose for three goals in the final period to down the Minnesota Wild by a 6-1 count at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.
Six different Philadelphia players lit the lamp: James van Riemsdyk, Jeff Carter, Danny Briere, Andreas Nodl (shorthanded), Ville Leino and enforcer Jody Shelley. The goalie, Shelley's first as a Flyer, was one of two he'd score in 89 games with Philadelphia.
The Flyers outshot the Wild by a 28-16 count for the game. Winning goalie Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 15 of 16 shots.
November 24: Through the Years
- 1973: Bernie Parent prevailed in a goaltender's duel with the St. Louis Blues' John Davidson in a 1-0 Flyers road win. Parent stopped all 31 shots by St. Louis, while Davidson turned back 27 out of 28 Flyers shots. Ross Lonsberry's goal with 18 seconds remaining in the second period stood as the game's only marker for either side.
- 1985: Flyers captain Dave Poulin recorded the fourth hat trick of his career, while Illka Sinisalo notched a pair of goals in a 7-4 home win over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Ron Sutter and Murray Craven each scored one goal apiece. Mark Howe earned a pair assists and finished the night at plus-three.
- 1993: The Flyers exploded for six goals in the second period en route to a 9-2 home blowout of the defending Stanley Cup champion Montreal Canadiens. Mark Recchi had five points, Garry Galley had four points and Kevin Dineen recorded a hat trick. Andre Racicot was in net for eight of the nine Philadelphia goals.
- 1995: The Legion of Doom powered the Flyers to an impressive 4-1 home win against the powerhouse Detroit Red Wings. Eric Lindros led the way with two goals (15th and 16th of the season), while John LeClair and checking forward Rob DiMaio also found the net. Eric Desjardins earned a power of assists. Goaltender Garth Snow stopped 36 of 37 shots.
- 1999: Mikael Renberg notched a goal and an assist to help the Flyers build a lead that eventually grew into a 6-1 road win over the Florida Panthers. Eric Lindros, Sandy McCarthy, Eric Desjardins and former Panthers forward Jody Hull also tallied for Philadelphia. Former Panthers goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck made 21 saves.
- 2010: The visiting Flyers broke loose for three goals in the final period to down the Minnesota Wild by a 6-1 count in St. Paul. Six different Philadelphia players lit the lamp: James van Riemsdyk, Jeff Carter, Danny Briere, Andreas Nodl (shorthanded), Ville Leino and enforcer Jody Shelley.
- 2014: Steve Mason records a 46-save shutout against the host New York Islanders but the Flyers are equally unable to solve Jaroslav Halak (21 saves). The Islanders prevail in a shootout and win, 1-0.
November 24: Flyers Birthdays
- Hard-shooting defenseman Kurtis Foster was born on November 24, 1981 in Carp, Ontario.
- Former Flyers captain Keith Primeau was born on Nov. 24, 1971 in Toronto.
- Checking forward Branko Radivojevic was born on Nov. 24, 1980 in Piestany, Czechoslovakia (now Slovakia).