On November 13, 1999, the Philadelphia Flyers earned a 3-2 home win over the San Jose Sharks. Mikael Renberg's second-period power play goal proved to be the game winner. The victory marked Flyers head coach Roger Neilson's 424th win in his NHL coaching career. With the win, Neilson passed Jack Adams for ninth on the NHL's all-time coaching victories list as it stood at the time.
Neilson's Flyers tenure lasted from the latter portion of the 1997-98 season, lasting until the 1999-2000 campaign. In 1999-2000, Neilson's team earned first place in the Eastern Conference. He also coached the 2000 Eastern Conference All-Star squad that season. Overall, Neilson's Flyers team had a 76-52-32 regular season record. His overall head coaching record was 460-381-159.
Neilson was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in November of 2002. On June 21, 2003, he passed away at age 69 after battles with bone and skin cancer.
November 13: Through the Years
- 1974: The Flyers earn a 3-2 win over the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden as Bobby Clarke breaks a 2-2 deadlock with 15 seconds left in the game. Back in the first period, Clarke and Bill Barber created a shorthanded goal for Tom Bladon. Orest Kindrachuk tallies a second period goal for Philadelphia, while Bernie Parent (26 saves) betters Eddie Giacomin (17 saves).
- 1977: Wayne Stephenson notches a 23-save shutout of the Detroit Red Wings, defeating Eddie Giacomin (30 saves). Ross Lonsberry (power play), Bill Barber (shorthanded) and Jimmy Watson provide the goal support.
- 1986: At the expense of his former team, Murray Craven records the first hat trick of his career in a 7-5 win over the Detroit Red Wings at the Spectrum.
- 1991: In a swap of productive and popular plays in need of a change of scenery, the Philadelphia Flyers trade Murray Craven to the Hartford Whalers for Kevin Dineen. The Flyers also send a 1992 fourth-round pick (Kevin Smyth) in the deal.
- 2006: The Flyers reacquire fan favorite tough guy Todd Fedoruk. Philadelphia sends a 2007 fourth-round pick (Justin Vaive) to the Anaheim Ducks.
- 2013: One night after shutting out the Ottawa Senators on the road, the Flyers continue their climb out of an early-season hole by going into Pittsburgh and claiming a 2-1 regulation win over the Penguins. Ray Emery (30 saves) is brilliant in goal, and Brayden Schenn scores his fifth and sixth goals of the season on even strength and power play goals. Only an unstoppable second-period power play goal by Sidney Crosby gets past Emery.
November 13: Flyers Birthdays
- Forward Rene Drolet, who suited up for the Flyers in the final game of the 1971-72 season, was born on Nov. 11, 1944 in Quebec City, Quebec.
- The late Wayne Hillman, the younger of the two Hillman brothers who played for the Flyers, was born on November 13, 1937 in Kirkland Lake, Ontario.