On March 12,1978, two-way forward Ross Lonsberry recorded the third hat trick of his Flyers career as the team easily downs the visiting Colorado Rockies, 6-2. He tallied once apiece in the first, second and third periods to complete the hat trick with 1:40 remaining in the game.
The goals are the 15th, 16th and 17th of the season for "Roscoe" and the 141st, 142nd and 143rd of the 144 he scored in his 497-game Flyers career. The tallies came at the expense of former Flyers goaltender Doug Favell.
In the same game, defenseman Bob Dailey blasted home a shorthanded goal for his 19th tally of the season, while Bobby Clarke (one goal, two assists) and Bill Barber (one goal, two assists) dominated offensively. Fellow future Flyers Hall of Fame inductee Rick MacLeish earned a pair of assists.
March 12: Through the Years
- 1974: The Flyers earn the 200th win in franchise regular season history as they skate to a 2-1 road win over the New York Islanders. Bernie Parent stops 19 of 20 shots, including eight in the third period, to make second-period goals by Simon Nolet and Bill Barber stand up the rest of the way.
- 1981: The Flyers rack up nine goals in route to a five-goal margin of victory over the visiting Detroit Red Wings. The Rat Patrol line of Ken Linseman (two goals, one assist), Brian Propp (one goal, two assists) and Paul Holmgren (three assists) dominates. Linemates Bobby Clarke and Bill Barber also score, while Rick MacLeish tallies one goal and sets up another for Reggie Leach.
- 1985: The Flyers trade rawhide-tough defenseman Glen Cochrane to the Vancouver Canucks. Cochrane had fallen out of favor with first-year coach Mike Keenan. Philadelphia receives a 1986 third round in return; the pick is later traded back to the Canucks.
- 1995: The Legion of Doom sparks the Flyers to a 4-3 home win over the New Jersey Devils. Mikael Renberg (one goal, two assists) and Eric Lindros (two goals) lead the way. Philly also gets a goal by rookie winger Patrik Juhlin.
- 2011: The Flyers' Finns have a big night as Ville Leino notches the first hat trick of his NHL career and Kimmo Timonen also lights the lamp. Unfortunately, the Flyers collapse with a 3-0 lead in the third period and go on to suffer a 4-3 regulation loss to the Atlanta Thrashers.
- 2013: The injury-riddled Flyers acquire veteran defenseman Kent Huskins from the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft. The condition (Philadelphia re-signing the impending unrestricted free agent) is not met.