On January 9, the Philadelphia Flyers crushed the woeful California Golden Seals, 10-3, in a fight-filled game at the Spectrum. The game was tied, 2-2, after the first period before the Flyers went on to outscore the Seals, 4-0, in the middle stanza and 4-1 in the final frame.
Left winger Bill Lesuk, who scored 24 goals in 123 games with the Flyers, compiled his first and only hat trick. Young forwards Bobby Clarke (Gordie Howe Hat Trick with one goal, two assists and a second-period fight with Paul Shmyr) and Serge Bernier (two goals) also enjoyed multi-point games, while defenseman Rick Foley collected four assists. The game sees five fights break out: Bob "the Hound" Kelly vs. Carol Vadnais, Gary Dornhoefer vs. Ivan Boldirev, Barry Ashbee vs. Wayne Carleton and Clarke vs. Shmyr and Kelly vs. Shmyr.
Doug Favell earned the win in goal with 35 saves.
January 9: Through the Years
- 1986: Darren Jensen earns his first NHL shutout, stopping 24 shots in a 4-0 home win over the Washington Capitals. Pelle Eklund, Murray Craven, Mark Howe and Dave Poulin provide the goal support.
- 1993: The Flyers build a 3-0 lead and then hang on for a 4-3 home win against the New York Rangers. Two goals by veteran defenseman Ric Nattress lead the way. Mark Recchi notches his 26th goal of the season while Pelle Eklund also chips in a goal.
- 1999: Ron Hextall (13 saves in 37:36 minutes) and John Vanbiesbrouck (seven saves in 22:24 minutes) combine for a shutout of the Carolina Hurricanes. Eric Lindros and Valeri Zelepukin score for the victorious home side in the 2-0 win.
- 2003: Roman Cechmanek records the 16th shutout of his Flyers career, stopping 24 shots in a 4-0 road win over the New York Islanders. Pavel Brendl, Jeremy Roenick (shorthanded), Marty Murray and Eric Desjardins score for the Flyers.
- 2010: A rare two-goal game from checking forward Blair Betts (even strength and empty-net goals) and one apiece from Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell elevate the Flyers to a 4-1 home win over old teammate Antero Niittymaki and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Michael Leighton (17 saves on 18 shots) earns the win.
- 2016: Steve Mason is scarcely tested as he records a 20-save shutout in a dominating 4-0 Flyers home win over an injury-riddled New York Islanders team. Michael Raffl, Evgeny Medvedev, Matt Read and Sean Couturier score for the Flyers.
January 9: Flyers Birthday
- Callup defenseman and longtime Flyers scout Dennis Patterson was born Jan. 9, 1950 in Peterborough, Ontario.