The 1972-73 season marked the Philadelphia Flyers' arrival as Stanley Cup contenders. The emergence of young stars such as Hart Trophy winner Bobby Clarke, rookie standout Bill Barber and 50-goal scorer Rick MacLeish showed that the Flyers would be a force to be reckoned with for years to come.
On January 27, 1973, the Flyers traveled to western Pennsylvania and earned a convincing 5-3 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins. MacLeish scored his 24th and 25th goals of the season and also added an assist. Set up by Clarke, Barber chipped in his 16th goal on the way to a 30-goal campaign. Veterans Gary Dornhoefer and Ross Lonsberry also scored.
In the short-term, the outcome of this game was overshadowed by a third-period incident between Flyers defenseman Barry Ashbee and referee Bryan Lewis. Ashbee received an eight-game suspension from the NHL for striking the official with his stick as he disputed a tripping penalty.
January 27: Through the Years
- 1977: Wayne Stephenson shuts out his former team on 24 shots as the Flyers earn a 2-0 road win over the St. Louis Blues. Ross Lonsberry's mid-first period goal holds as the lone tally before Bill Barber adds an empty net goal in the final minute.
- 1980: The Flyers old-guard holdovers from the Stanley Cup winning teams spur the team to a 5-3 home win over NHL rookie Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers. Reggie Leach notches his 32nd and 33rd goals of the season, while Rick MacLeish and Bill Barber tally their respective 26th goals of the campaign. Gretzky has a goal and an assist for Edmonton.
- 1983: The Flyers hold the visiting Winnipeg Jets to just 16 shots in a 5-2 win at the Spectrum. Brian Propp tallies his 23rd and 24th goals of the season, while Bobby Clarke, Ray Allison and Mark Taylor also light the lamp for Philadelphia.
- 2000: First period goals by Simon Gagne, Eric Lindros and Mark Recchi (power play) key a 4-2 home win over the Florida Panthers after an early goal by Pavel Bure gives Florida a 1-0 lead. The Panthers trim the deficit to one goal in the third period before Chris Therien seals the win with an empty-net tally.
- 2001: Paul Ranheim's second period shorthanded goal triggers a Flyers comeback from a 3-1 deficit as they go on to earn a 4-3 road win over the Carolina Hurricanes. Simon Gagne nets the game winner midway through the third period.
- 2015: Regulation and shootout goals by Wayne Simmonds spearhead a 4-3 shootout home win over the Phoenix Coyotes after the Flyers trailed 2-0 early in the game.
- 2016: In the final game before the All-Star break, the Flyers earn a hard-fought 4-3 overtime win over the Washington Capitals. Jakub Voracek tallies twice, including the overtime winner.
January 27: Flyers Birthday
- Puck-moving defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo was born in Toronto on Jan. 27, 1983.
- Speedy Finnish forward Tomi Kallio was born on Jan. 27, 1977 in Turku, Finland.