In a hint of what was to come in an epic Wales Conference Final later in the year, the Flyers won an emotional 6-3 game with the Montreal Canadiens at the Spectrum on January 15, 1987.
In the meantime, Pelle Eklund racked up a three-point game (one goal, two assists) to lead the Flyers back from an early 2-0 deficit. Tim Kerr's power play goal (35th goal of the season) tied the score at 2-2. After Montreal re-took the lead at 3-2, Flyers' right winger Brian Dobbin's first goal in the NHL re-tied the game.
The Flyers take over in the third period as Tocchet, Derrick Smith and Peter Zezel score even strength goals on Patrick Roy (17 saves on 23 shots). Tocchet's assist on Zezel's goal gives him a Gordie Howe Hat Trick on the night. Ron Hextall (23 saves) earned the win in goal.
Hextall lit an early fuse in the game by slashing a Montreal player near the net. Later, there were fights involving Shayne Corson against Don Nachbaur and Dave Maley against Rick Tocchet. In the third period, the hated Claude Lemieux charges Flyers defenseman Kjell Samuelsson, who responded with a high stick under Lemieux's chin.
January 15: Through the Years
- 1976: The Flyers continue their Spectrum dominance over the woeful Pittsburgh Penguins with a 4-1 win. Reggie Leach tallies his 30th goal of the season, while Bobby Clarke racks up three assists. Bill Barber (23rd goal), Rick MacLeish (20th goal) and Ross Lonsberry (11th goal) also score for Philadelphia.
- 1980: The Flyers capture a 7-4 home win over the Washington Capitals despite trailing by scores of 1-0 in the first period and 2-1 in the second. Reggie Leach notches his 28th and 29th goals of the 1979-80 season. Ken "the Rat" Linseman and Bob "the Count" Dailey chip in one goal and one assist apiece, while Bill Barber (24th goal of the season), Behn Wilson and John Paddock round out the scoring.
- 1991: The Flyers pull out a 5-4 home win over the eventual Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Philly holds a 4-0 lead after the first period, and then sees the lead steadily dwindle down to one goal before rookie center Mike Ricci's power play goal temporarily restores a two-goal margin. Pittsburgh gets back within a goal in the third period and puts on a late charge but cannot find an equalizer. Flyers winger Rick Tocchet tallies his 29th and 30th goals of the season, while Dale Kushner and Kjell Samuelsson chip in one goal apiece.
- 1996: The struggling Dallas Stars come to Philadelphia and run into a buzzsaw as Philly compiles a 6-1 win. All three members of the Legion of Doom score, as Eric Lindros (three-point night) scores his 27th goal of the season, John LeClair notches his 25th on a power play goal, and Mikael Renberg (two points) tallies his 24th. Other Philadelphia goal-scorers are Rod Brind'Amour (12th of the season) and Kjell Samuelsson (2nd). Ex-Flyer Brent Fedyk tallies the lone Dallas goal.
- 2002: Jeremy Roenick enjoys a four-point game, opening the scoring in the first period with his 14th goal of the season and later assisting on goals by Simon Gagne (19th of the season) and defenseman Kim Johnsson (eighth of the season) in a 4-1 road win over the Ottawa Senators. Justin Williams also scores for the Flyers, while Roman Cechmanek stops 36 of 37 shots.
January 15: Flyers Birthdays
- No-frills defensive defenseman Adam Burt was born Jan. 15, 1969 in Detroit.
- Rough and tumble defenseman Randy Holt was born on January 15, 1953 in Pembroke, Ontario.
- The late German-born offensive defenseman Willie Huber was born in Strasskirchen on Jan. 15, 1958 but raised in Canada.