The Flyers made a significant trade with the Carolina Hurricanes on February 7, 2003. Philadelphia received two-time NHL All-Star Game forward Sami Kapanen and also re-acquired defenseman Ryan Bast in exchange for winger Pavel Brendl and defenseman Bruno St. Jacques. Kapanen became an instant fan favorite and highly respected player in the locker room, spending the remainder of his NHL career in Philadelphia.
On the same day the Flyers acquired Kapanen, they also traded enforcer defenseman Chris McAllister to the Colorado Avalanche for a 2003 sixth-round pick (goaltender Ville Hostikka).
February 7: Through the Years
- 1974: Two early goals by Dave "the Hammer" Schultz and third period goals by Bobby Clarke and Terry Crisp push the Flyers past the Pittsburgh Penguins, 5-4, at the Spectrum.
- 989: The Flyers announce two trades. The team acquires feisty and speedy checking line center Keith Acton and a 1991 sixth-round pick (Dmitri Yushkevich) from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for fan favorite enforcer Dave Brown. Philadelphia also acquires veteran power forward Al Secord from the Toronto Maple Leafs for a 1989 fifth-round pick (Keith Carney).
- 1992: The Flyers acquire tough defenseman Ryan McGill from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for forward Tony Horacek.
- 2009: Defenseman Randy Jones sends the Flyers to a road victory with an overtime goal that caps off a comeback from a 3-1 deficit at the first intermission. Entering the game at the start of the second period in relief of starter Martin Biron, Antero Niittymaki stops all 22 shots he sees. The Flyers get regulation goals by Simon Gagne (power play), Glen Metropolit and Scott Hartnell (power play) to silence the Boston crowd in the 4-3 win.
- 2012: In the midst of setting a franchise record 249-minute shutout streak, Ilya Bryzgalov stops 18 regulation and overtime shots and then stops two straight shooters in a shootout after the Flyers and Islanders skate to a scoreless tie through 65 minutes of hockey. Evgeni Nabokov makes 45 saves during the game before Danny Briere and Wayne Simmonds score in the shootout to officially register a 1-0 win for the Flyers. Both Bryzgalov and Nabokov are credited with shutouts.
February 7: Flyers Birthdays
- Defenseman Shawn Anderson was born February 7, 1968 in Montreal.
- Speedy forward Alexandre Daigle was born February 7, 1975 in Montreal.
- Swift-skating forward Todd Hlushko was born February 7, 1970 in Guelph, Ontario.
- Two-way left winger Ross Lonsberry, a member of the Flyers' 1973-74 and 1974-75 Stanley Cup championship teams, was born on Feb. 7, 1947 in Humboldt, Saskatchewan.
- Offensive-minded defenseman Yves Racine was born February 7, 1969 in Matane, Quebec.
- Well-respected pugilistic winger Jody Shelley was born February 7, 1976 in Thompson, Manitoba.
- A star for the Philadelphia Phantoms and a depth player for the Flyers, American Hockey League Hall of Fame defenseman John Slaney was born February 7, 1972 in St. John's, Newfoundland.