In the years prior to the franchise's relocation to Dallas, the Minnesota North Stars typically dreaded playing the Philadelphia Flyers. Philly enjoyed a 62-31 win-loss record with 23 ties against the North Stars. In games at the Spectrum, the Flyers rolled to a 40-8-10 record in meeting with Minnesota.
In a February 26, 1976 game at the Spectrum most noted for a second period brawl, the Flyers defeated the North Stars, 3-2. With the Flyers leading 1-0 on Reggie Leach's 45th goal of the year, a line brawl broke out at 7:10 of second period. Shorthanded as a result of an extra penalty assessed in the fracas, the Flyers' Larry Goodenough struck for a shorthanded goal to forge a 2-0 lead.
After Bill Barber's 38th goal of the 1975-76 season built a 3-0 lead, the Flyers hung on through a Minnesota rally. Flyers netminder Wayne Stephenson (17 saves) earned the win in goal.
February 26: Through the Years
- 1981: The Flyers sell the contract of veteran goaltender Phil Myre to the Colorado Rockies.
- 1985: The Flyers earn a 3-2 road win over the Hartford Whalers, spurred by shorthanded goals by Derrick Smith and by team captain Dave Poulin before Tim Kerr notches his 46th goal of the season. The game features a pair of fights between Dave Brown and Kevin Dineen.
- 1997: The Legion of Doom chews up the Ottawa Senators, figuring in seven goals in a wild 8-5 road win for the Flyers. John LeClair has a hat trick and assist. Mikael Renberg notches two goals and two assists. Eric Lindros collects seven points (one goal, six assists). Paul Coffey and Rod Brind'Amour round out the scoring. The game is tied, 4-4, at the end of the first period before the Flyers pull away. Lindros' six assists set a Flyers franchise single-game record.
- 2006: The Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks make a trade: Philadelphia sends forward Kyle Calder back to his former team and acquires defenseman Lasse Kukkonen and a 2007 third-round pick (Garrett Klotz).
- 2013: The Flyers reacquire former All-Star left winger Simon Gagne from the Los Angeles Kings. The team sends a conditional draft pick to LA, which ends up being Phoenix's 2013 4th rounder (Justin Auger).
February 26: Flyers Birthdays
- Free-spirted left winger Barry Dean was born Feb. 26, 1955 in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.
- Much-traveled center Jarrod Skalde was born Feb. 26, 1971 in Niagara Falls, Ontario.