Vezina Trophy winning goaltender Pelle Lindbergh earned a standing ovation and chants of "Pelle! Pelle! Pelle!" from the Spectrum crowd after a spectacular 31-save performance -- including two breakaway saves -- in a 4-1 win over the Calgary Flames on February 24, 1985.
Only a goal by Hockey Hall of Famer Lanny McDonald got by Lindbergh. Brian Propp (shorthanded), Ron Sutter, Dave Poulin and Rick Tocchet supplied the Philadelphia goals.
With the victory, the Flyers became the first National Hockey League expansion team to reach 700 wins in franchise history.
February 24: Through the Years
- 1979: One week after Bernie Parent suffered a career-ending eye injury in a home game against the New York Rangers, Wayne Stephenson makes 26 saves to win a 4-3 road game at the LA Forum against the Los Angeles Kings. Mel Bridgman, Reggie Leach, Rick MacLeish and Tom "T.J." Gorence score for Philly.
- 1983: Tied 3-3 with the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins after two periods, the Flyers pull away with three unanswered goals in the final period to skate off with a 6-3 win. A pair of goals by Ilkka Sinisalo paces the attack.
- 1994: Dominic Roussel outlasts former Flyers goalie Ron Hextall in a 5-4 Philadelphia overtime win against the visiting New York Islanders. Rod Brind'Amour tallies twice, including the game winner. Philly also gets goals from Eric Lindros (three-point game) and Mark Recchi.
- 2001: The Flyers and Tampa Bay Lightning battle to a 0-0 tie at the First Union Center. Roman Cechmanek stops all 36 shots he faces, while Tampa netminder Kevin Weekes does the same on all 27 Flyers shots. The Flyers go 9-for-9 on penalty kills but cannot convert any of their own five power plays.
- 2004: Recently acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks, Alexei Zhamnov breaks a scoreless deadlock against his former team. Later, fellow ex-Blackhawk Tony Amonte builds a 2-0 lead. That is all Sean Burke (27 saves on 28 shots) needs. Claude Lapointe tacks on an empty-netter in the final half minute to seal a 3-1 home win over Chicago.
- 2007: The Flyers trade aging impending unrestricted free agent defenseman Alexei Zhitnik to the Atlanta Thrashers -- who are desperate to make a playoff push -- for defense prospect Braydon Coburn (the Thrashers' first round pick in the 2003 NHL Draft). Coburn quickly earns a spot in the Flyers' starting lineup and goes on to be a long-tenured player.
- 2009: Trailing the host Washington Capitals 2-0 midway through the game on goals by Alexander Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom, the Flyers storm back for four unanswered goals -- Claude Giroux (power play), and third period goals at even strength by Scott Hartnell, Jeff Carter and Arron Asham. Antero Niittymaki earns the win with 33 saves on 35 shots.
- 2011: Andrej Meszaros's goal with 18 seconds remaining in overtime elevates the Flyers to a 4-3 home win over the New York Islanders. Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and James van Riemsdyk score in regulation.
February 24: Flyers Birthday
- A Flyer in 2005-06, left winger Brian Savage was born on Feb. 24, 1971 in Sudbury, Ontario.