On February 23, 1988, Flyers battered the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena by an 11-6 score after trailing 3-0 early and 5-1 in the second period.
Philly broke loose for seven unanswered goals in the third period. Mark Howe led the way with two goals and an assist. Murray Craven also tallied twice. Rick Tocchet, Doug Crossman, JJ Daigneault, Ron Sutter, Dave Poulin and enforcers Dave Brown (11th goal) and Craig Berube (2nd goal) rounded out the scoring. Scott Mellanby and and Brian Propp each collected three apples.
Ten of the Flyers' 11 goals were scored at even strength.
February 23: Through the Years
- 1969: The Flyers are on the receiving end of an 11-1 road pasting by the Detroit Red Wings.
- 1980: The Flyers get outplayed in the first period of a game at the Forum against the LA Kings, but goalie Pete Peeters (31 saves on 32 shots) holds the game scoreless until the team gets rolling. Second period goals by Ken Linseman, Al Hill and Jimmy Watson open up a 3-0 lead. The lead grows to 5-0 in the third period on goals by T.J. Gorence and Bill Barber (power play). Peeters loses his shutout bid late in the game but the Flyers still skate away with a comfortable 5-1 win.
- 1984: The 500-game Flyers playing career of tough right winger Paul Holmgren comes to an end. The team trades him to the Minnesota North Stars for the rights to Paul Guay and a 1985 3rd-round draft pick (Darryl Gilmour). Holmgren left as the Flyers' all-time leader in penalty minutes with 1,600 penalty minutes in 500 regular season games. In parts of nine seasons with the Flyers (1975-76 to 1983-84), Holmgren recorded 138 goals and 171 assists for 309 points (22nd on the Flyers' All-Time Points List).
- 1988: 1991: Keith "Woody" Acton paces the Flyers to a 5-3 road win over the New York Islanders, tallying two goals and assisting on Dale Kushner goal. The Flyers also get goals from Derrick Smith and Kjell Samuelsson (power play).
- 1995: To the dismay of the partisans at Le Colisee, Flyers captain Eric Lindros racks up a hat trick and an assist in a 6-6 tie between Philly and the Quebec Nordiques. Mikael Renberg has a goal and an assist, as does John LeClair. The Flyers' other goal is scored by defenseman Karl Dykhuis on a power play. However, the Flyers are unable to preserve a 6-3 lead in the third period and settle for a tie.
- 1997: Terry Murray's Flyers shut down the visiting New York Rangers, racking up a 37-15 shot advantage for the game. Only a spectacular goaltending performance by Flourtown native Mike Richter keeps the game close. However, a late first period goal by Pat Falloon and a mid-second period tally by rookie defenseman Janne Niinimaa are just enough offense to leave with a 2-1 win.
- 2013: The Flyers erase a 3-1 deficit to earn a 5-3 road win over the Winnipeg Jets on the strength of three consecutive power play goals by Claude Giroux (one goal, one assist), Brayden Schenn (even strength and power play goals), and Wayne Simmonds. Jakub Voracek adds three assists to the cause. Danny Briere and Zac Rinaldo (empty net) also score.
February 23: Flyers Birthday
- Speedy role-playing forward John Druce was born Feb. 23, 1966 in Peterborough, Ontario.
- Lanky righthanded defenseman and subsequent Flyers assistant coach Gord Murphy was born March 23, 1967 in Willowdale, Ontario.