The lockout-shortened 2012-13 season was an injury-riddled, underachieving campaign for the Philadelphia Flyers. However, the season was not without a few highlights.
One of the season's most memorable games took place in a President's Day matinee at the venerable Nassau County Coliseum in Uniondale, NY. On that afternoon, everything clicked for the Flyers in a 7-0 thrashing of the New York Islanders.
The onslaught started early as Claude Giroux (two goals, one assists) scored just 26 seconds after the opening faceoff. Danny Briere later collected a pair of goals and an assist. Jakub Voracek led the point-scoring bonanza with four points (one goal, three assists) on the afternoon. Second-year pro Brayden Schenn chipped in a goal and an assist, while agitating forward Zac Rinaldo scored his first goal of the season. Ilya Bryzgalov earned a19-save shutout.
February 18: Through the Years
- 1976: The Flyers recover from a three-goal Vancouver Canucks outburst in the second period to skate off with a 6-4 home win. The LCB Line leads the way as Reggie Leach collects his 41st and 42nd goals of the season, Bill Barber scores his 35th and 36th and assists on the second Leach goal, and center Bobby Clarke collects two assists. The Flyers also get goals from Don Saleski (shorthanded) and Orest Kindrachuk.
- 1978: Don Saleski scores his 21st goal of the season and a pair of third-period goals by Bill Barber (27th and 28th of the 1977-78 season) enable the Flyers to pull away in a 4-2 road victory over the Detroit Red Wings.
- 1982: In a 7-4 home loss to the New York Islanders, Ron Flockhart scores a goal to run a personal goal-scoring streak to seven straight games, tying a franchise then-record set by Gary Dornhoefer in 1972-73.
- 1985: Backup netminder Bob Froese sees just 18 shots in an 8-2 Flyers romp over the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Spectrum. Flyers defenseman Thomas Eriksson hits the double-digit goal mark for the season as he tallies even strength and shorthanded goals. Murray Craven, Peter Zezel, Brian Propp and Derrick Smith also score goals for Philly. Even defensemen Brad Marsh (first goal of the season) and Ed Hospodar (second goal) join the scoring parade.
- 1993: The Vancouver Canucks hold rookie Eric Lindros off the scoresheet but the Flyers still skate off with a 3-2 win. Kevin Dineen leads the way for coach Bill Dineen's squad, scoring a pair of goals, including the game-winner with just two ticks left on the third-period clock. Greg Paslawski tallies the other Flyers goal. Winning goalie Tommy Soderstrom is sharp in net, stopping 28 of 30 shots.
- 1994: Two goals and an assist by Eric Lindros spur the Flyers to a 4-3 road win over the Los Angeles Kings. Philly also gets goals by Mark Recchi and rookie Mikael Renberg plus a pair of assists from Rod Brind'Amour. Dominic Roussel makes 30 saves to earn the win.
- 2012: In an effort to gear up for the playoffs, the Flyers acquire veteran defenseman Pavel Kubina. a former NHL All-Star Game participant, from the Tampa Bay Lightning. In return, the Flyers send minor-league forward Jon Kalinski, the Florida Panthers' 2012 second-round pick (Brian Hart), an a 2013 fourth-round pick (Tobias Lindberg).
February 18: Flyers Birthday
- Signed by the Flyers as a free agent in the summer of 1992, depth center Glenn Mulvenna was born on February 18, 1967 in Calgary, Alberta.