On their way to winning the newly created Western Division, the first-year expansion Philadelphia Flyers traveled to Minneapolis, Minnesota on February 11, 1968 and defeated a fellow inaugural season club, the Minnesota North Stars, by a 3-2 score.
Goaltender Doug Favell (27 saves) outdueled North Stars counterpart Cesare Maniago (22 saves). Goals by Jean Gauthier (two-point game), Leon Rochefort and Brit Selby provided just enough offense for the win. The scoreless third period featured a spirited fight between Forbes Kennedy and Elmer Vasko.
February 11: Through the Years
- 1983: A pair of line-rush goals by Ken Linseman and a late second period line brawl that sees all 10 skaters on the ice receive fighting majors and/or misconducts provide the most memorable moments of a 6-4 win at the Spectrum over the Buffalo Sabres. The game also sees Bill Barber notch his 34th goal of the 1982-83 season and Ron Flockhart score his 24th.
- 1993: The Flyers and Montreal Canadiens battle to a 0-0 tie at the Spectrum. Tommy Soderstrom turns aside all 23 shots he faces, while Andre Racicot does the same on 26 shots.
- 1995: Newly acquired John LeClair scores his first goal as a Flyer to open the scoring of a 3-1 Flyers road win over the New Jersey Devils. Brent Fedyk and Josef Beranek also score for the Flyers.
- 1996: The Flyers suffer a disappointing 5-3 home loss against the Colorado Avalanche that sees Philadelphia's Eric Lindros (two goals) and Colorado's Peter Forsberg (three goals) take turns dominating the third period for their respective teams. Ultimately, the game swings on a stoppable goal by Colorado's Claude Lemieux with 1:57 left to play. The Avs tack on a empty net goal with 42 seconds left as Forsberg completes a hat trick. The Flyers hold the Avalanche to a combined 12 shots in the first 40 minutes but the game enters the final period tied at 1-1. Pat Falloon has a goal and two assists for Philly in a losing cause.
- 2016: A 41-save performance by Steve Mason enables the Flyers to skate to a 5-1 win marked by a four-goal Philadelphia explosion in the second period after a scoreless opening stanza. R.J. Umberger scores his first goal of the season, followed by tallies from Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds (20th of the season) and Michael Raffl. In the third period, Nick Cousins notches his first NHL goal.
February 11: Flyers Birthdays
- Right winger Lew Morrison. the Flyers first-round selection (eighth overall) in the 1968 NHL Draft, was born February 11, 1948 in Gainsborough, Saskatchewan.
- Former Flyers captain Mike Richards was born in Kenora, Ontario, on February 11, 1985
- Popular role-playing forward Maxime Talbot was born on February 11, 1984 in Lemoyne, Quebec.
- Defenseman Bob Wilkie was born in Calgary, Alberta, on February 11, 1969.