The Philadelphia Flyers successfully defended their 1973-74 championship the next season, downing the Buffalo Sabres in six games in the 1975 Stanley Cup Final. The series concluded with a Flyers' 2-0 shutout victory in the deciding game.
Three months earlier, the Flyers gave a little preview of what was to come.On February 1, 1975, Bernie Parent shut out the Sabres on 26 shots in a 6-0 Flyers win at the Spectrum.
Six different Flyers and three different lines contributed to the offense: forwards Reggie Leach, Bill Barber, Rick MacLeish, Bill Clement and Don Saleski all scored goals, while even defensive defenseman Joe Watson chipped in a tally.
February 1: Through the Years
- 1974: The Flyers trade the contract of veteran defenseman Roger Pelletier for big-framed Springfield Kings (American Hockey League) right winger Doug Volmar. Volmar reports to the Richmond Robins, the Flyers' AHL affiliate.
- 1986: Second period goals by Ilkka Sinisalo (23rd of the season) and Ron Sutter provide a 2-0 lead but the Flyers have to settle for a 2-2 road tie with the Quebec Nordiques.
- 1994: The Flyers trade center Vycheslav Butsayev to the San Jose Sharks for defenseman Rob Zettler.
- 1996: Eric Desjardins scores in overtime and John LeClair continues his own mastery of their former Montreal Canadiens team with a power play goal (his 27th tally of the 1995-96 season) in a 3-2 home win. However, the game is most remembered for Montreal center Marc Bureau throwing a vicious elbow at vulnerable Flyers defenseman Petr Svoboda, which rendered Svoboda unconscious and sent him the hospital. Numerous fights followed, including Craig MacTavish hammering Bureau in a lopsided fight late in the second period. Bureau and Svoboda would later become teammates on the Flyers.
- 2001: Roman Cechmanek earns a 22-save homes shutout of the New York Islanders. Eric Desjardins breaks a scoreless deadlock early in the third period. Mark Recchi adds some empty-net insurance in the final 30 seconds.
- 2010: Ray Emery sees just 18 shots as the Flyers cruise to a 3-0 road win over the Calgary Flames. Flyers captain Mike Richards scores a pair of goals, while Claude Giroux scores the other goal.
- 2014: Steve Mason is phenomenal in goal in a game in Los Angeles in which the Flyers get outshot by a 35-13 margin. Mason puts up a brick wall around his net until Wayne Simmonds scores a power play goal against his former team break a 0-0 deadlock at 7:48 of the second period. The skinny margin holds until Claude Giroux adds a power play insurance goal with 1:58 remaining in the game. The Flyers skate off with a 2-0 win.
February 1: Flyers Birthdays
- Prolific scoring winger Mark Recchi, was born on February 1, 1968 in Kamloops, British Columbia.
- Longtime NHL winger Geoff Sanderson was born on February 1, 1972 in Hay River, in the Northwest Territories (NWT) of Canada.