The Philadelphia Flyers opened the 1987 Patrick Division Finals (Wales Conference Semifinals) with a 4-2 victory at the Spectrum over the New York Islanders in Game One of the series on April 20, 1987. Before the Islanders even knew what hit them, Philly was playing with a lead and went out to enjoy a 4-0 edge before the game was even 23 minutes old.
Prolific goal scorer Tim Kerr led the way, racking up a hat trick on two power play goals and an even strength tally, sandwiched around a Don Nachbaur goal. Brian Propp and Pelle Eklund each collected two assists while the top-pairing defense duo of Mark Howe and Brad McCrimmon helped slam the door after the Isles cut the deficit in half late in the game. Rookie goaltender Ron Hextall stopped 26 of 28 shots.
The hat trick was the 15th (combined regular season and playoffs, second in the postseason) of the 20 that Kerr scored in his Flyers career. The goals were his fourth, fifth and sixth of the 1987 playoffs.
April 20: Through the Years
- 1974: The Flyers open the Stanley Cup Semifinals with a 4-0 win at the Spectrum against the New York Rangers. Rick MacLeish scores a pair of goals, sandwiched around second-period tallies by Ross Lonsberry and Bill Barber. Bernie Parent plays brilliantly in earning a shutout.
- 1976: The Flyers take a three games to two lead in the Stanley Cup Quarterfinals against the Toronto Maple Leafs with a 7-1 blowout win at the Spectrum. Don Saleski racks up a hat trick.
- 1995: The Flyers shake off an early shorthanded goal by the visiting New York Islanders to earn a 2-1 win. Goals by Mikael Renberg and Eric Lindros -- their respective 25th of the season -- win the game.
- 2010: After going to the first intermission trailing 1-0 and getting outshot by a 12-7 margin, the Flyers respond with four unanswered goals to grab a 4-1 home ice victory and a commanding three games to one lead over the New Jersey Devils in the 2010 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. Jeff Carter tallies a pair of power play goals, while Danny Briere and Dan Carcillo (set up by Carter) notch one goal apiece. For the third time in four games, Brian Boucher (30 saves on 31 shots) outduels the legendary Martin Brodeur (24 saves on 28 shots).
- 2014: The Flyers even their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series with the New York Rangers at one game apiece. Playing in place of injured Steve Mason, Ray Emery makes 31 saves to backstop Philadelphia to a 4-2 win at Madison Square Garden. The Flyers trail 2-0 early before unanswered goals by Jakub Voracek, Jason Akeson (power play), Luke Schenn and Wayne Simmonds (power play, empty net) send the Flyers to victory.
April 20: Flyers Birthday
- Fleet-footed offensive-minded defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere was born in Margate, FL on April 20, 1993.