NEWS, NOTES & BOXSCORE
- For the second straight year the Flyers rookies shut the door on the Capitals rookies to post a 3-0 victory. The Flyers posted a 1-0 win in Arlington, Virginia last season. The win was also the Flyers third straight victory over the Capitals rookies in the seventh annual game.
- For the second straight year Anthony Stolarz stopped every puck that came his way through the first 30-plus minutes of the game and any thoughts of his injury lingering over were immediately erased.
- Martin Ouellette replaced Stolarz in the second period and shut down the Caps five shots in the third period.
- Two of the mostly highly-touted Flyers prospects were not only on display for the Flyers fans as well as management, but were even pair together. Sam Morin and Shayne Gostisbehere play two different types of games, but complimented each other well.
"He's a great player to play with," said Gostisbehere. "He's a first-rounder for a reason. He's a great player; we moved the puck well together. He's not going to skating the puck up and down, but he'll be bruising it in the corner and squeaking it out to me."
- Morin was left off the scoresheet, but made his impact with seven minutes in the box, including a stand-out fight with Caps' forward Liam O'Brien midway through the opening period.
- The Flyers defense allowed just six shots in the first period and five in the third period.
- Petr Straka took a hard hit from behind along the Flyers bench in the first period. He rebounded by scoring the game's first goal, which turned out to be the game-winner.
- Nicolas Aube-Kubel recorded the insurance goal 45 seconds later on a great feed from Scott Laughton. Aube-Kubel appeared in four pre-season games with Val D'Or before coming to camp. He posted six goal and seven points in those four games.
- University of New Hampshire star Kevin Goumas added an empty netter to seal the victory.
Penalties: WSH – Harr (hooking), 8:14; PHI Morin & WSH O’Brien (fighting), 13:53; WSH Walker (interference), 14:19; PHI Aube-Kubel (hooking), 19:34. SECOND PERIOD
Scoring: PHI Straka (unassisted), 15:10; PHI Aube-Kubel (Leier, Laughton), 15:55.
Penalties: WSH Vrana (hooking), 7:29; WSH Elgestal (roughing) & PHI Morin (cross-check), 9:30; PHI Pettersson (cross-check), 11:24; WSH Epp (cross-check), 18:28. THIRD PERIOD
Scoring: PHI Goumas (Straka), 19:34 (EN).
Shots on Goal: PHI 12-12-8 32; WSH 6-12-5 23.